Organizing Toys ~ Taming of the Legos

by Kimba on March 1, 2010

in Do it yourself,Organizing

legos on floor

Any mom of boys in cringing right now. All those teeny, tiny pieces on the floor…getting lost in the carpet…getting mixed in with other toys. Argh.

This may not be the prettiest post I’ve ever written, but it may be the most practical. My boys have recently discovered the wonderful world of legos. That means that I’ve discovered the wonderful world of missing legos and stepped on legos (ouch!). I had to find a way or organize and store all of the parts.

lego box

My boys are still young so they like to build the actual “thing” on the lego box, so tossing all of the legos into one big box isn’t an option. And keeping the big boxes that are 1/100th full of legos is also not an option. The boxes get destroyed and can’t contain all those teeny, tiny piece anyway.

So what’s the solution?

legos in storage bag

Ziploc bags! The gallon size bags are plenty big enough to hold all but the largest lego sets and the instruction book that shows you how to put together the Super Galactica Battle Star Android Cruiser Ship. (I made that up.)

lego storage

And a whole bunch of those bags fit in one metal storage bin.

But what do we do with all of the itty bitty pieces that I vacuum upstep on find on the floor?

extra lego storage

We keep a small Tupperware container for “extra/found” pieces. Then when the boys wants to put together a lego set, they grab the bag they want and the container of extra pieces. They’re good to go!

Finding a simple, cheap and practical way to store toys in our house makes me less grumpy happy. I’m thinking there is an application for girls toys here too. Barbie clothes? My Little Pony parts?

puzzle storage

We use this same technique for storing puzzles when the boxes start to fall apart. Just cut the picture off the lid and put it in a Ziploc bag with all the pieces. Problem solved.

Do you have any simple ideas for toy storage? I’d love to hear them!

1 Sugar Mommy March 1, 2010 at 8:29 am

We use Ziplocks, too–I love their 2 gallon sizes for those wooden preschool puzzles.

And you can never get enough of those plastic, stackable bins. GREAT for big stuff like the Word Whammer with all it’s thousand letters!

However, I just found this awesome Lego storage solution (though it’s more for your general lego storage…not variety/picture specific). BUT it does make finding certain pieces easier: http://www.box4blox.com/
Sugar Mommy´s last blog ..stretched beyond My ComLuv Profile

2 Becky - Clean Mama March 1, 2010 at 8:36 am

Love using Ziplocs for puzzles – some day it would be nice to make some fabric bags for them, but the Ziplocs are “good enough” for now :)

I am constantly rearranging kid stuff as they outgrow toys and lose interest, but I recently converted my front hall coat closet into a toy closet and LOVE that it’s all out of site unless it’s being played with – check it out here: http://cleanmama.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-closet.html
Becky – Clean Mama´s last blog ..SPRING ZONE CLEANING – DAY 1 My ComLuv Profile

3 Audra Lynn March 1, 2010 at 8:40 am

What a great idea! I’ve been doing it for puzzles for a little while. We’re still in Duplo mode around here, so I’ll have to remember this for when our Legos start shrinking.
Audra Lynn´s last blog ..Eat some corn! My ComLuv Profile

4 Katie March 1, 2010 at 8:41 am

OH MY GOSH I think I love you.. My son is 4 and breezes through the hardest Lego kit with ease.. I have been looking for a way to better store the lego’s in his playroom and this is an awesome solution! I dislike how large the boxes are when they are only a quarter full when you get done.. Thanks a million times over for this idea!
Katie´s last blog ..Parker’s camera My ComLuv Profile

5 Southern Gal March 1, 2010 at 8:45 am

Such a simple solution. I’m off to buy the 2-gallon size for the CITY we bought last year. That box is HUGE. Thanks for the idea.

Oh, and my boy is just now getting into Star Wars so there are a lot of those galactic battleshippy thingies at our house, too.
Southern Gal´s last blog ..And the cold goes on. My ComLuv Profile

6 Jennifer Juniper March 1, 2010 at 8:51 am

Ziploc baggies hold many toy pieces around here, too. We also like those disposable tupperware-type containers for legos, too.

For art supplies, we like over the door shoe pockets. Glue, scissors, crayons, all have their own pocket.
Jennifer Juniper´s last blog ..Open Shout Out for Giveaways! My ComLuv Profile

7 Debbie March 1, 2010 at 9:01 am

Thank you SO much! We haven’t hit the small pieces around here yet, but it won’t be long. For now, I’m able to store those unsightly toys away in fun baskets and bins.

For books and a few toys in the living room we use these on the bottom of some bookshelves (5th pic down): http://athreestrandcord.blogspot.com/2010/02/show-me-your-life-collections.html

And in their room, we use these (pic 1 & 7): http://athreestrandcord.blogspot.com/2009/08/boy-meets-girl.html
Debbie´s last blog ..show me your life: collections My ComLuv Profile

8 Katherine March 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

Thank you for this – we have just gotten in to the Legos – and I was just complaining to my husband last night that my son’s toybox is a DISASTER!
I am going to try the Ziplock trick out and see if it works for us!

9 Stephanie @ Geezees March 1, 2010 at 9:11 am

Great job organizing the toys!
What would we do without Ziploc baggies :)
Stephanie @ Geezees´s last blog ..Canvas Unwrapped, Deployed in Iraq, Constance and Matthew’s Story My ComLuv Profile

10 Bekki March 1, 2010 at 9:26 am

We store our sets in ziploc bags and then by catergories in these blue containers. In some cases they can leave them built and still put them away. We have a LOT of legos around here!

Bekki´s last blog ..New Chair My ComLuv Profile

11 Tausha March 1, 2010 at 9:27 am

I love ziplock bags! I put all game pieces in ziploc bags. It saves crushed boxes and crushed feelings when their FAVORITE game is ruined.
I have a paint question for you. Since you are the queen of paint-have you ever used behr paint and primer in one? I need to cover some red walls. I am also thrilled with your paint recomendation! I went and picked up a sample can and I am loving it!
Tausha´s last blog ..Free Stuff! Who wants Free Stuff? My ComLuv Profile

12 Kimba March 1, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I haven’t used it yet, but I know that The Nester used it on her armoire and really like it. I’ve been wanting to give it a try. If you use it, let me know what you think.

13 Sharon March 1, 2010 at 9:41 am

Oh Yeah… I can see how this is going to be very useful! We aren’t at the Lego stage yet, but it is looming!

My best tip is to “relocate” the toys were aren’t playing with anymore. Much less cluttery when those toys move up to the big storage bin in the attic!

14 Kimba March 1, 2010 at 8:27 pm

You are so right. I really need to do a purge of the toys that the boys have outgrown.

15 Richella March 1, 2010 at 9:43 am

Good for you! I’m so glad your boys are enjoying Legos. . . as far as I’m concerned there’s no better toy out there!

I’m glad you thought of a way to keep the sets together. That’s something we were never quite able to do.
Richella´s last blog ..A welcoming space My ComLuv Profile

16 Lauri March 1, 2010 at 9:46 am

I wish I had this idea back when my boys were in their Lego years. I resorted to dumping the mess into a giant bucket. Makes for a unique finished piece, but it would have been nice to keep units together.

17 Victoria@Whimsy by Victoria March 1, 2010 at 9:49 am

Kimba, what a great post! I buy ziplock bags just for this very reason. I too cut off the top lid and stick it inside so then you know what you have in each box. Saves room as well than bulky boxes. It also makes it easier when the kids need to put toys away…(yeah, right…me putting them away…O.k. in an ideal world)lol Have a wonderful week friend!

Hugs,
Victoria
Victoria@Whimsy by Victoria´s last blog ..Sheer Bliss… My ComLuv Profile

18 Jamie M. March 1, 2010 at 10:04 am

We use Ziploc for our puzzles too. I also assign each puzzle a number or a letter and then write it on the box and on the back of each piece. That way if I find a stray piece around the house I know exactly which puzzle it goes with.

19 Kimba March 1, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Oh my word! You are THE QUEEN of organization!!!!

20 Gina March 1, 2010 at 10:05 am

We do the same thing with puzzles-it works great! My son has moved on from the actual sets and likes to be super creative with his legos so I use an under bed storage box for all of his. It’s really long and shallow, so it fits everything and he can freely dig through it to find certain pieces. We used to use a big rubbermaid bin but that was always dumped out, now he just has look in the box-no more dumped legos! Of course, they still end up on the floor but he knows I WILL vacuum them up, so he does a good job keeping them neat.
Gina´s last blog ..Love My ComLuv Profile

21 Jenny 867-5309 March 1, 2010 at 10:05 am

I think the makers of Zip-locks should seriously think about using moms to promote their product! I can’t imagine my life without zip-lock bags. Besides for the obvious – food; I use them for ‘special’ legos, puzzles, magnets, those twisty waxy sticks, special cards from mushy girls at school…the list goes on and on.
Jenny 867-5309´s last blog ..Playing with lights My ComLuv Profile

22 Carmen March 1, 2010 at 10:10 am

This is one of those DUH moments for me. I am wondering…”why didn’t I ever think of that?” :)
Carmen´s last blog ..The Few The Proud My ComLuv Profile

23 Teri March 1, 2010 at 10:10 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one that loves using ziplock bags as storage devices…hadn’t thought of using it for puzzles…brilliant, since those boxes don’t last for anything…and I am dreading the day my little one gets into legos…growing up with 2 younger brothers, I have already stepped on my share of those little tiny hurty things:)
Teri´s last blog ..We used to call it the "hundred dollar store"…. My ComLuv Profile

24 Erin March 1, 2010 at 10:22 am

What a great solution! My boys are still too young for Legos (they would end up getting eaten), but definitely will keep your solution in mind when we get to the Lego stage!
As for now, just trying to figure out how to keep our playroom somewhat organized – it’s always a MESS! I have 14 month old triplets and they can destroy the playroom in 5 minutes flat!
Keep the good idea coming! Love your blog!
Erin
Erin´s last blog ..Dresser Dilemma My ComLuv Profile

25 Amanda March 1, 2010 at 10:36 am

I concur on the Preschool puzzles as well! I also have a random little parts bag because I got incredibly tired of looking for the toy it went to!
Amanda´s last blog ..Quote Answers and Give-A-Way… My ComLuv Profile

26 Kristi Temple March 1, 2010 at 11:04 am

Ziploc bags are the bomb! My 3 boys love Legos and I am forever finding them all over the house. We did get the Super Star Destroyer with escape pod for Christmas. It did not fit in a Ziploc bag but our oldest won’t let anyone touch it yet. It had over 3000 pieces.
Kristi Temple´s last blog ..Snow Cream . . . Fresh Off The Grill . . . The Breakfast Of Champions My ComLuv Profile

27 Kimba March 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Oh glory! 3,000 parts? GAH! That’ll need a bigger bag. :)

28 QponCutie March 11, 2010 at 2:51 am

She’ll need one of those giant Ziploc “Big bags”!!
QponCutie´s last blog ..Please Pray for Layla Grace My ComLuv Profile

29 Leah March 1, 2010 at 11:18 am

We use Ziplock bags for puzzles too. Glad to see they are working so well for Legos because my little one has started asking for them.

30 Chantelle @ ThousandSquareFeet March 1, 2010 at 11:35 am

I need to do a post on this very thing! My sons are past the sets and like to build their own creations so we needed a way to sort it all. We are using two different small parts tool boxes and they work fantastic! This is one http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ToolStorage/PartsStorage/PRDOVR~0581069P/Mastercraft%252BOrganizer%252BCombo.jsp

and this is the other

Because all the dividers are movable, we can make big or little spots. My boys have been able to spend more time building and less time looking because they can find what they need more quickly. All pieces are sorted into their individual shapes so it gets time-consuming to sort it all but the reward is bigger and better creations in less time! Works great for PollyPockets and MLP Ponyville stuff, too!

31 Julie March 1, 2010 at 11:51 am

I always put a letter or shape on the back of each puzzle piece and also on the inside of the box. That way “when” a piece gets left out it’s easy to find witch puzzle it belongs too. It can be time consuming but oooh so worth it. Of course we still have very small puzzles at our house so it hasn’t been too hard.

32 Susan March 1, 2010 at 11:53 am

That’s a great idea…wish you were around when my boys were little! But I’m keeping that in mind for grandkids. :)
Susan´s last blog ..Cruise Photo Op ~ My ComLuv Profile

33 Laryssa @ Heaven In The Home March 1, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Great idea!
Laryssa @ Heaven In The Home´s last blog ..Blissful Memories My ComLuv Profile

34 Wendy @ The Shabby Nest March 1, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Hi Kimba:

I use the same method to store puzzles… too bad I didn’t think of it for legos long before all of the pieces from all of the different Star Wars ships got mixed together. Sigh.

35 Missy March 1, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I have done this with puzzles – never thought to do it with Legos – Genius!!! Thanks!

36 Heather March 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm

We do ziploc bags for puzzles too, it works great! I even found an old skirt hanger and use it to clip the bags and hang them in our coat/toy closet. My oldest son LOVES Legos too, but he only builds the actual project on the box once and then “freeplays” with them afterwards, so I’m lucky I can just throw them all in a lidded box.
Heather´s last blog ..Soda Bottle Cloche My ComLuv Profile

37 Kimba March 1, 2010 at 8:31 pm

A skirt hanger???? That’s brilliant!

38 Julie @ follow your heart woodworking March 1, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I did that too, when my children were young. But… I also had separate three ring binders which I used for both legos and puzzles. I cut the boxes so that the picture of the puzzle or lego project was clear and then I punched three holes into it and put it in the binder. Every lego sets is numbered, so I cut the small photo of the lego kit off the side of the box (it has the number with it) and taped it on the ziploc bag, for the puzzles I did the same thing and numbered them. So the kids could look through the binder and find a puzzle or lego kit they wanted to make and then take out that “page” and find the matching number out of a big bin that held all the kits. They also had to put each one away before they got out another one. It worked great… now I’m waiting for grandchildren to use it all again!
Julie @ follow your heart woodworking´s last blog ..Buffet Hutch – Part eight – Making the hutch My ComLuv Profile

39 momstheword March 1, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I used ziplock bags for lots of toy storage, and dish pans and kitty litter pans! I cut out my lids and kept them in a binder, and I’d mark the back of the puzzle piece to correspond with the number on the lid.

That way if you found a puzzle piece on the floor, you knew exactly which puzzle it went to.

I also stored the crayons and the coloring books together in the same dishpan. I bought plastic shoeboxes and stored toys in them as well. I just labeled what went in there, such as “jungle animals,” etc.

Of course, before they could read I’d draw a picture or just simplified the storage for them!

40 Rachel @ the science of music March 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I use the bags that sheets/pillowcases come in for game pieces once the boxes tear up. I stack the game boards and put the bags next to them. Then we grab the right bag, grab the right board, and we’re good to go! I use small ziplocks to separate small game pieces – the red checkers in one bag, the black in another, both go in the larger bag. It makes it so much easier to set up a game and so much easier to see what’s missing when putting the game away!
Rachel @ the science of music´s last blog ..Happy Birthday!! My ComLuv Profile

41 Kim @ Everything Etsy March 1, 2010 at 2:23 pm

The wonderful world of Legos! Yes, I just finished “helping” my son clean his room. Legos can be found all over, and he now has 4 or 5 giant tupperware containers full of them. We do have two boxes that roll under his bed and I love those! They’re cool toys for boys but not too much fun to control! I think you’re system looks great! :)

~Kim
Kim @ Everything Etsy´s last blog ..Craft Room Inspiration — Amor Designs My ComLuv Profile

42 Gina - atowd March 1, 2010 at 2:35 pm

3 boys = tons of legos! I totally get it. I use plastic bags for the puzzles but keep our legos in clear storage bins. I have been known to sort them by color in those office rolling carts (you know, the ones with like 5 clear drawers). Yeah, that was fun for awhile (and quickly ended lol) I love those ziplocs though, I store a lot of the lego instruction booklets in there :)

Gina

43 Ruby Red Slippers March 1, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I swear to you-I was so fed up with Legos, I posted about it on Saturday…{Poem: 5 seconds, my peace of mind:priceless} Legos are the bane of my existance!!!
We have done the bag thing, but I gave up, and I threw ALL the Legos in a toy box-so now they have a whole toy box dedicated JUST for Legos…and I say to the THREE boys-look for the pieces in the box…and yes, it does take all day :( but they are off my floor, and in one room…
Anywho, I could go on, and on…but I won’t.

44 Ruth March 1, 2010 at 2:47 pm

What a super idea. It’s great if the kids keep up with it and no more stepping on, vacuuming little Lego pieces.

Ruth
Ruth´s last blog ..Themeless Friday Fun My ComLuv Profile

45 Heather March 1, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Well, hello there, Kimba. I just saw your link on Loren’s sidebar (Magoo’s News) and the title of it…oh, yeah…I had to peek in. Aren’t you a clever momma?!!! I have three boys and you would not believe what I’ve been doing all afternoon. That’s right?! I’ve been cleaning up the mess of a toy/storage room. No, I didn’t do a lot of separation – I couldn’t today but the entire time I’m up there, I am fussing about the many lego’s I’ve already sorted out…again…and again…and again. All of the little toys. We have a problem though. The lego’s that we have, most of them anyway, were mine from when I was a young girl and they are just a bunch of mismatched lego’s.

We keep them in big plastic (ok-I’m going to say it- NEVER USED -kitty litter pans) and we store them underneath our couch in the living room.

The boys get very bored downstairs, while the toys are upstairs.

Now…this does not explain why there are SO many lego’s upstairs amongst the toys, now does it?!

Okay…sorry I’ve babbled on and on here. Just needed to, I suppose. Thanks for listening and offering out your SUPER solution :)

46 Kimba March 1, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Hi Heather! Nice to meet you!

I’ll be doing that same job tomorrow. Cleaning and organizing the rest of the playroom. I’m NOT looking forward to that job.

47 Carmie of the Single Nester March 1, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Simple yet perfect. Get rid of all those boxes and put everything in a ZipLoc!
Carmie of the Single Nester´s last blog ..Glitter Easter Eggs My ComLuv Profile

48 Ashley @ Domestic Fashionista March 1, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I too use a lot of ziplocs. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are for cookie cutters…I have them either bagged by holiday or shape/theme all stored in a big box. And we also have a misc. household tool box…nails, plate hangers, etc. and I have them organized by zippies. :)

I recently “ease dropped” a comment you left on my 3 boybarians about transitioning into more of a home blog than just house. And I just wanted to encourage you letting you know I enjoy hearing about your home life as well as your decor. I am always interested in reading about how other women balance their daily lives. :)
Ashley @ Domestic Fashionista´s last blog ..Learning to Let My Husband Love Me My ComLuv Profile

49 Kimba March 1, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. House/home is a subtle distinction, but it’s important to me. :)

50 Stacey @ The Blessed Nest March 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm

What a clever mom you are! My girls LOVE legos, they play with the “girly” ones…pink bricks, horses & jumps, puppies. And build villages for the people and animals! I have a couple sets that this would be great for! Thanks!!
Blessings,
Stacey
Stacey @ The Blessed Nest´s last blog ..Kitchen To-Do’s… My ComLuv Profile

51 Tracey March 1, 2010 at 4:48 pm

We are still on Lego Duplos and I have managed to keep it to one bin–but the Lego sets are coming soon and I will definitely use this method. Thank you!
Tracey´s last blog ..I Dropped the (yarn) Ball My ComLuv Profile

52 Kathysue March 1, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Kimba, I love Zip-loc bags!! This is a great way to take up less space and still stay organized, Great idea!! Kathysue

53 michele March 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm

We’ve been doing the ziploc+directions+legos storage system for years! LOL Works like a charm. I keep a big cardboard box with the bags in the basement. Eventually, your kids will want to start making their own stuff. So I do have a lego box in the family room that has loose pieces in different sizes. (That’s where I put the extra pieces that pop up all over the house.) Legos are the greatest!

54 Amanda @ Serenity Now March 1, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I feel the same way about Polly Pockets. We keep the dolls in a big ziploc, the clothes in a small sandwich ziploc, and the shoes and accessories in those little plastic baby food containers. :)
Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..The Waste Land My ComLuv Profile

55 La @ lalaslifetoday@blogspot.com March 1, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I LOVE this idea, BUT our 9 year old has $1000′s worth of lego sets already (it’s all he ever wants for Christmas and birthdays) and I have to think that one day he will sell some of them. Although I hate all the boxes, I think the resell value would go way down without it. So for now I must keep the shelving units in the basement with all the box sets on them. =(

Too bad…….

56 Kimba March 1, 2010 at 8:36 pm

That’s a great point. If you’re thinking about resale, then having the original boxes is a huge selling point. I would probably store the boxes away somewhere so they don’t get destroyed.

57 NerdMom March 1, 2010 at 6:25 pm

We did something similar but more broken down. We did both bags and containers but we did it by types of blocks and k’nex with a labeller. I did a post on it.
NerdMom´s last blog ..A Little About Purim My ComLuv Profile

58 Bonnie March 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I love the Ziploc bag idea – wish I had thought of it instead of what we used. We went with the shoebox sized plastic boxes & store them in an under the bed storage box. Might have to re-organize using the Ziploc bags – I can just picture how much would fit in that under the bed container THAT way!!! The shoe boxes can then be used for DS games, etc. hmmmmmmm… I see a re-arranging session in my son’s future……. :)

59 Marianna March 1, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I am simply amazed. I have a 10-year-old who is a huge Lego fan. If I could get him to keep his Lego’s this neat I would dance in the street! As it stands the entire floor of his bedroom is covered in tiny, multi-colored pieces of plastic! As he is constantly explaining to his father it’s the only way he can find the pieces he needs to build his next creation.

60 Kate at Centsational Girl March 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Ziplocks are key in my toy laden household. Especially for puzzles. Somehow they seem to find their way to the upper shelves of closets while babes are sleeping. Then they are magically rotated by the puzzle fairy. I love the puzzle fairy, she keeps me sane. I also keep the paper covers of hardcover books stored away so they don’t get damaged so when I go to donate them, they appear, at least on the outside as good as new. I make them judge those by their covers.
Kate at Centsational Girl´s last blog ..A Tale of Two Strippers My ComLuv Profile

61 Amy at The Red Chair Blog March 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Great idea! We must be on the same wavelength….except that I just posted about storing bigger toys!
Amy at The Red Chair Blog´s last blog ..Toddler Toy Storage Solution My ComLuv Profile

62 The Saved Quarter March 2, 2010 at 1:03 am

My little boy is just 4, starting his Big Boy Lego journey with a Star Wars set and Sponge Bob set from Christmas. Both are in Ziploc bags, with the instructions. They’re stored on a high shelf so he needs a grown up to get them, and he can only play them at the table so far – we have an 18 month old, so being sure all pieces get picked up is important! He’s been really excited about them, and happily puts them away in their bag so he knows he has them for next time. It works well!

63 New Every Morning March 2, 2010 at 9:36 am

What a great idea! We use the bags for puzzles, but LOVE the idea for Legos. It seems like boy-toys involve a lot more little pieces than my girls’ ever did.

I agree with Ashley… love the house/home transition!

64 Brooke March 2, 2010 at 9:58 am

I do about the same thing with the lego’s but never thought about the puzzles. Great idea. The boxes are always falling apart and they are large to try to store.
Thanks.
Brooke
Brooke´s last blog ..Bathroom on the cheap My ComLuv Profile

65 Meaghen March 2, 2010 at 11:27 am

I love ziplocks too! I use them for puzzles, cars, singing teacup sets – tons of stuff!

66 Julie March 2, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Something so simple! Love the idea of using it to store different craft “kits” my daughter has strewn all over her art desk. This one tip alone eases the stress of jumping in to get it organized. Thanks :)

67 Moira March 2, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Just thought I would take the opportunity to introduce you to the BOX4BLOX, an invention my husband and I have developed for organizing and storing Legos. Take a look at our web site http://www.box4blox.com and find out why Moms love our product.

68 maura March 2, 2010 at 7:21 pm

my son uses knex and this is the perfect solution for them too. I am tired of them being kicked under the radiator never to be seen again. Thanks for the great idea.
maura´s last blog ..25% OFF My ComLuv Profile

69 Danielle March 2, 2010 at 7:32 pm

We just entered the world of legos and they are already getting sucked up in my vac and stepped on and lost!! Great GREAT… G R E A T tip! Thanks for the post!

70 April Driggers March 3, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Oh, girl, I’m SO right there with you! And I generally step on them when I’m walking in the dark — those little 4 point square ones! OUCH! I have two huge tubs of Legos and SO FAR those are working — becuase they just pour them all over the floor and build from there. My youngest son (5) is the one that now that he’s getting into Star Wars wants to keep his Star Wars kits separate from the rest so I can totally see this kind of organizational project coming into my playroom in the near future!

As far as the puzzles go, What I started to do was to buy the little square clear containers from The Container Store. I think they’re like $1.49 each (square, snap on lid) and we put the puzzle in there and I tape the photo off the top to the top of the box with clear tape. I like this way because they stack neatly still and I don’t have to have a container to hold all the baggies.
April Driggers´s last blog ..What’s Up Wednesday??? My ComLuv Profile

71 Andria March 10, 2010 at 8:38 am

I’ll have to remember this… Right now, my 2 yr old is into duplo’s, but I’m sure we’ll get to the Lego set stage soon.

72 Katie @ goodLife {eats} March 10, 2010 at 9:52 am

LOVE THIS! My son just got his first big boy Lego set and already wants more, but I was worried about pieces getting lost, mixed up, etc. Definitely using this tip! Thanks!
Katie @ goodLife {eats}´s last blog ..How To: Solar System Birthday My ComLuv Profile

73 Susan March 11, 2010 at 10:46 am

This is a great idea. May I recommend the zip top bags with a slide closure – makes it easier for little fingers to actually close the bag and keep the contents contained. :) No I am not a saleslady for any particular company!

74 Angela March 11, 2010 at 1:33 pm

We have so many Legos (thanks to my two kids – 8 & 10 – and husband) that we purchased a huge garage organizer made of metal with gray plastic bins (for bolts and stuff) from Costco. We have bins dedicated to different color and shapes of bricks, complete with lables. Our “coffee” table is really a Lego table that my husband built out of melamine with 3 inch wood boarder (to keep the Legos inside). We keep the boxes and have binders with plastic sleeves for the directions in case the kids want to build something from a kit. If you’re going to have Legos, you might as well keep them organized & away from the vacuum.

75 Diana Menne March 11, 2010 at 5:32 pm

We, too tried many methods, including the ziploc bags and craft/bead/ tool boxes. I just found a fabulous method that has finally worked for us. One of those rubbermaid carts with drawers. It is actually meant for scrapbooking. Each “drawer” has an attached lid that snaps shut and then goes in the tower when you are finished. The bigger sets fit in there with the booklet. We also still use the ziplocs for tiny pieces. This way our son can take the set out that he wants and take it to the table…we too have a two year old. I found the drawers at target. I probably would have stuck with the ziploc system, but my son was rough on them and tore them open and I was using a lot of them…and I didn’t have a cute box/basket for them..they went on a shelf and were a mess!

76 Jennifer March 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Hi!

Great tip, but I wanted to post a quick warning to moms with younger kids…. we did the Ziploc thing last year when our then 4-year-old got his first real Lego set. I came in one morning to find our nearly three-year-old with the extra large Ziploc over her head. Scared me to death to think if I’d been a minute or two late coming into the room. Just when you think that’s not an issue any longer, they prove you wrong! Please just keep this in mind when storing your stuff in bags. Maybe Ziploc will invent a vented bag for toy storage :)

77 Heather @ One Take On LIfe March 13, 2010 at 10:14 am

I love this idea, I do this as well. I also love to use our train table for when my son plays with his legos. The pieces are up off the floor and if he wants to stop in the middle, they don’t need to be cleaned up right then.

78 Sarah March 14, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I didn’t want my sons to be limited to only making the designs in the book. They are still little and have a hard time. So I used small tupperware containers to separate them by color. The booklets are filed near them if they wish to use. But it has really helped from Mommmmmmm, help I can get this.

79 Matt Knox March 20, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Super cool post. clutter can create so much stress in the house and we can all use the tips! I am a recent convert to the power of “organizers” as a profession. IF you have this skill, come on over and post your service for free on http://www.diggerslist.com , we all need you!