Make Your Home More Welcoming With Flowers

by Kimba on March 24, 2010

in Sanctuary at Home

sams club bouquet

Someday, when I’m independently wealthy (a girl can dream), I’m going to have fresh flowers in my home every day. Until then, I’ll have to settle for the occasional Sam’s Club bouquet. But there’s something so welcoming about flowers, don’t you think? Flowers are good for the heart and soul.

close up bouquet

One of my goals for this spring is to plant a small cutting garden in the backyard. A cutting garden is a small (or large!) garden grown specifically so that you can have cut flowers for fresh bouquets.

Here are a few great articles on the topic:

Canadian Living: How to Plant a Cutting Garden
BHG: Best Perennials for Cutting
BHG: Best Annuals for Cutting

Don’t have room for a garden? How about a container garden on your porch or balcony? Life on the Balcony wrote a great series on Cutting Flowers in a Container Garden.

~~~~~~~~~~

Catch up with our Make Your Home More Welcoming Series. Like so many other things, I got off to a roaring start with this series. Then I got distracted by something shiny.

Challenge #1: Greet them the right way
Challenge #2: Clean up YOUR entryway
Challenge #3: Turn on some music
Challenge #4: Get them a drink
Challenge #5: Make it Smell Good
Challenge #6: Make Them Something Yummy
Challenge #7: Use the Good Stuff
Challenge #8: Foof Up YOUR Entry Door
Challenge #9: Turn on Some Lamps

1 New Every Morning March 24, 2010 at 9:08 am

I love fresh flowers … especially when they are from my yard (free!!!)
New Every Morning´s last blog ..We Met HER My ComLuv Profile

2 TammyM March 24, 2010 at 9:14 am

Why didn’t I think of planting a cutting garden! That is a fabulous idea – and to have fresh flowers in my home. How lovely!

3 Bird Crafts March 24, 2010 at 9:16 am

D’you know, I read an interview with an interior designer called Kelly Hoppen, and she admitted to having silk flowers in her home all the time! I quote: “they’re such good quality these days, your freinds will never know!” :)

I agree!

Nothing beats fresh flowers, but to keep them in the house all year round… good quality silk ones can be a good alternative. especially if like me, you don’t have green fingers!

Love your bouquet!

4 Richella March 24, 2010 at 9:34 am

I share your love of fresh flowers. I love the idea of a cutting garden, partly because I like the sound of that phrase: “cutting garden.” Just sounds so elegant. So refined. So English. I am such an Anglophile, it’s ridiculous.

5 Melanie March 24, 2010 at 9:54 am

I love fresh flowers too. When we lived in Georgia, my husband use to go by an old country church that had wild yellow flowers growing in a field and he would stop and pick some and bring them home to me. They lasted a long time too. Thanks for sparking that memory. It made me smile. :)

6 Gina March 24, 2010 at 9:57 am

That’s a great idea! We had hydrangeas in a previous home, and I loved bringing those in throughout the summer. I dearly miss them, but I’ve always thought a cutting garden would be nice. I’ll check out those links! Thanks!
Gina´s last blog ..My Bedroom Has the Blues My ComLuv Profile

7 Brooke March 24, 2010 at 10:03 am

Aaahhh fresh flowers, who doesn’t love them. They just brighten things up. I have a dream of fresh flowers everyday also, maybe someday…. A girl can dream can’t she.
Brooke
Brooke´s last blog ..What to do, what to do??? My ComLuv Profile

8 Shelle March 24, 2010 at 10:11 am

I love fresh flowers. I just recently decided I was going to have them in my house as often as possible. I check out the “flower bouquet a month” club options but they’re really expensive. So, I realized that grocery stores sometimes have bouquets of flowers for sale. Usually they’re close to dying, but for a few days, it’s nice to have fresh flowers. My hubby just brought me two bouquets from the grocery store the other day. Pix are on my blog.
Shelle´s last blog ..Craigslist score and what I’ve learned so far My ComLuv Profile

9 Andrea March 24, 2010 at 10:45 am

Oh it would be lovely to have fresh flowers every day! A girl can dream.
Andrea´s last blog ..Mutton Bustin’ My ComLuv Profile

10 Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage March 24, 2010 at 10:59 am

I have some buttercups right now! :) Course they were free from a field! I would incourage the use of “free” flowers were available — they can be just as pretty!
Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage´s last blog ..What Would You Do With It Wednesday??? My ComLuv Profile

11 the BLAH BLAH BLAHger March 24, 2010 at 11:09 am

I like to buy flowers before dinner parties…and I wish that I could have fresh ones every day, too. For a while, I bought myself fresh flowers once a week, but then I realized that I was throwing money away on myself. Ha!
the BLAH BLAH BLAHger´s last blog ..Tool Talk Tuesday: the Dremel My ComLuv Profile

12 Sherrie March 24, 2010 at 11:17 am

I love having fresh flowers in my home and absolutely love the idea of a cutting garden.
Sherrie´s last blog ..Weekend update My ComLuv Profile

13 Elizabeth March 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I love flowers. I have so many pretty flower beds outside and I even have a cutting garden in a very hidden spot, but I can’t ever bear to cut them because it diminishes the display outside (lol). How silly am I? I’m checking out your links, though and am determined to have some pretty flowers inside this summer too.
Elizabeth´s last blog ..Frolic My ComLuv Profile

14 Heather March 24, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I love flowers too. I used to think that buying flowers was a waste of money, not anymore! I too would love to have a small cutting garden, but now isn’t the season for that. But what I’ve started doing is using my existing bushes/greenery in my yard to supplement store bought flowers to “stretch” them so to speak. I use less bought flowers in each arrangement since I’m adding my cuttings to them, and I get more “bang” for my buck! Here’s a blog post I did regarding this awhile ago: http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/2009/11/bucket-oblooms.html
Heather´s last blog ..Bevy of Beautiful Birdies My ComLuv Profile

15 DanaMc March 24, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I love the idea of a cutting garden! Since I only have one area that gets enough sunlight, perhaps I can plant the plants in a way that taller plants in front with cover up the fact that the ones in the back have been picked through already. Hmm. Something to think on.

Sunflowers, hold a special place for me for a couple of reasons – so I was already planning on planting some giant sunflowers :)
DanaMc´s last blog ..What’s Your Favorite Cake? My ComLuv Profile

16 Amanda @ Serenity Now March 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Good links. :) I want to do a cutting garden next year. I LOVE my daffodils in the front flower beds, but I don’t like to cut them b/c then it’s so bare. A cutting garden in the back would be perfect. :)

17 Mrs. Jen B March 24, 2010 at 1:46 pm

THANK YOU for sharing these links! I’m at the point where the weather is finally warm enough to start planting, and I need ideas and instructions. I have always wanted a cutting garden!
Mrs. Jen B´s last blog ..Refreshing Cucumber Salad My ComLuv Profile

18 Treasia March 24, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Like you I adore fresh flowers and if I could afford them they would fill my home. I can’t wait for me flowers and trees to bloom here so that I can get some cuttings indoors.
Treasia´s last blog ..Plans Change My ComLuv Profile

19 MarytheKay March 24, 2010 at 2:18 pm

There is no flower friendlier than a daisy. I just love them!

20 Southern Fried Gal March 24, 2010 at 8:19 pm

You can also do like me and offer free pruning to the neighbors. It’s best to do this service as a random act of kindness (i.e., while they are away). I’m such a nice neighbor!
Southern Fried Gal´s last blog ..Southern Fried Sundays My ComLuv Profile

21 Amanda March 25, 2010 at 7:55 am

I’m with you, fresh flowers are so awesome. Wish I could have them all the time!
Amanda´s last blog ..Checkerboard Cake for Easter My ComLuv Profile

22 heidi @ wonder woman wannabe March 25, 2010 at 11:53 am

I always enjoy your ‘welcoming home’ tips – and totally don’t mind if you take time out to show the shiny stuff! ;)

I actually took your advice a while back to find a way to clean up our entry way SOMEHOW with all the shoes that easily get built up there – I’ll have to get my bootay in gear to ‘show and tell’ how I made that happen on my little bloggy corner.

Thanks for the cutting garden links, what a great idea!
heidi @ wonder woman wannabe´s last blog ..Hope in Suffering Series {part 4} Hope My ComLuv Profile

23 jenn ravey March 28, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Your first line is literally word for word what I used to tell my mother. And I still wish I had enough money to have fresh flowers. I so love them.

I’m hoping to start a cutting garden soon.
jenn ravey´s last blog ..Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker My ComLuv Profile