Good Enough Mudroom

by Kimba on February 17, 2010

in Do it yourself

low rack close up

We have a little mudroom between our garage and kitchen. It’s our main entrance into the house. Since we moved into this house (1-1/2 years ago), I have dreamed about filling it with gorgeous lockers and cabinets to hide all of our junk. I am head over heels in love with Just a Girl’s gorgeous mudroom.

I’ve even gone so far as to pick out some awesome cabinet plans at Knock Off Wood and The Hubster is totally on-board with doing this ourselves. But we don’t have time right now. And it’s going to be a while before we do.

So most of the time, our little mudroom looks like this:

mudroom before 2

Shoes, coats and backpacks on the floor. all. the. time. It makes me crazy! I cringe every time I walk through the room…which is about 50 times a day. And I carp on the kids constantly. “Pick up your coats! Put away your shoes!” But the truth is, there’s not a good place to put away those coats…at least not that the kids can reach.

mudroom shoe organizer

Last week, I’d finally had enough. If I couldn’t have a glorious mudroom right now, I could have a Good Enough Mudroom.

mudroom shoe rack

A $12.00 shoe organizer from Lowes. Is it perfect and beautiful? Nope. Is it functional and good enough? Absolutely. And there’s that little stool. Perfect for holding little (and big) hineys while they take off their boots.

wall baskets

The copper baskets are from Lowes too. They hold wet hats and gloves just fine. And they’re hung up with 3M Command Hooks so I can take them down in the summer. But they look kind of cute, so they’ll probably stay.

mudroom mirror

And a little mirror so I can check for lipstick on the teeth or hanging chads on my way out the door. Totally not necessary, but I like it.

mudroom coat racks

The coat racks are hung at kid AND adult-level to keep coats, backpacks and scarves off the floor. I’m thinking that some of these ideas could be incorporated into an entry way/foyer if you don’t have a mudroom.

I am now head-over-heels in love with my Good Enough Mudroom. It’s not as beautiful as I would like but it’s super functional. And that’s what I need right now and I spent less than $50 on it. I’ll keep dreaming and someday (maybe when the basement is done), I’ll get my gorgeous mudroom. In the meantime, Good Enough is good enough.

What about you? Is there something in your house that makes you crazy? Are you waiting for the perfect solution when Good Enough could be good enough?

If you want to keep dreaming with me, check out these inspiring mudrooms:

Board and Batten Entryway @ Frugal Home Design
Wicked Awesome Mini-Mudroom @ The Shabby Nest (Is there anyone on earth who hasn’t seen this bit of awesomeness yet?)
The Dream Mudroom @ Just Beachy
Mudroom Organization for Less than $50 @ Finding Fabulous

1 Melanie February 17, 2010 at 8:21 am

I think it looks fantastic! And is definitely functional. Great job!
Melanie´s last blog ..Snow day (and a couple other pictures) My ComLuv Profile

2 beth February 17, 2010 at 8:38 am

it looks amazing! I have done some similar things and have been happy with it:) Can’t always spend tons of money at pottery barn to get that locker look. Although, I was at ikea this past weekend and they have lockers for about $100. VERY cute!
beth´s last blog ..Savannah @ Hearts of Style My ComLuv Profile

3 farmhouse mama February 17, 2010 at 8:46 am

Looks amazing and I love the little hanging baskets. Yesterday I did a tour of my mudroom too. If you want to check it out…

4 Andrea February 17, 2010 at 8:49 am

We usually come in the house through the garage door into the laundry room. We have adult and kid height coat hooks. I have little shelves for shoes. Yet. I find kid coats on the living room floor. And the girls throw their shoes on the floor in front of the shoe shelves. Huh?

5 Happy Mom February 17, 2010 at 8:50 am

I am inspired! I adore things that are good enough!

My children come in our front door (can’t be helped). The coats and back packs were driving me nuts! So in desperation, I put molding up at chair rail height and put hooks on it. It’s still not quite good enough, but it’s soooo much better than it was!

6 Michela February 17, 2010 at 8:51 am

This looks like a gorgeous mudroom to me!

7 Pam Fitz February 17, 2010 at 8:55 am

Kimba, that looks great! I don’t have a mudroom (our home is a townhouse, so I’m lucky to have an entry/foyer at all!) but I feel like maybe I could incorporate some of your ideas in our little foyer or maybe in our front hall closet? Anyway, thanks for the inspiration!

8 kathie February 17, 2010 at 8:59 am

I think it’s pretty nice the way it is.

9 The Comfort Girl February 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

I think it’s better than “good enough”! I think it looks great! And, it looks very functional- I’m all about function!

10 Chris February 17, 2010 at 9:15 am

Would it make you feel any better to know that I have the cabinets, and I STILL have to tell my kids to hang their coats on the hooks? Kids. I’m in love with your “good enough” mudroom. Those copper baskets make it for me. What a great job, Kimba!
Chris´s last blog ..A Winner and a Loser My ComLuv Profile

11 Angela February 17, 2010 at 9:18 am

I would love to have a mudroom! My favorite part of your makeover is the baskets. I could use those in so many places!
Angela´s last blog ..Snow My ComLuv Profile

12 Jessica @ This Blessed Life February 17, 2010 at 9:22 am

I am *hoping* that you got that coat rack at Target because I have the same one and that would mean I made a similar design choice as you! lol

Looks great and the wire baskets are a cute touch. :)
Jessica @ This Blessed Life´s last blog ..Help with Meal-Planning My ComLuv Profile

13 Southern Gal February 17, 2010 at 9:22 am

Love it! I’m at good enough right now in my laundry room. I, too, incorporated hooks, a shoe organizer and a small cheap drawer and door cabinet. But my biggest problem is that space is my laundry room, too. And the main entrance into our house. So even with everything in its place it’s still a laundry room. Sigh. I’m thinking curtains to hide the washer and dryer, but the place is small and I’m scared it will feel like a coffin. Any ideas?
Southern Gal´s last blog ..Happy Birthday to my oldest… My ComLuv Profile

14 heidi @ wonder woman wannabe February 17, 2010 at 9:24 am

Looks great, kimba! We’ve hung up hooks like that in our entry at 2 levels as well since this house is sans mud room AND coat closet (seriously? why??) I’ve had WAY to many opportunities to get creative with how our stuff gets stowed, but little by little everything is finding a ‘home’. Our shoes were taking over our entry way, but thanks to a little inspiration and prompting (from you and nester!!!) this fall to I came upon the idea of a shoe bin that I found would fit under a new (thrifted) chair that sits near the door. Love it! I’ll send you a link when I post about it later on! :D
heidi @ wonder woman wannabe´s last blog ..Thank Goodness for New Beginnings! My ComLuv Profile

15 Angie@seriouslyahomemaker.com February 17, 2010 at 9:25 am

I LOVE walking in the door and seeing the entryway looking lovely and organized… And HATE walking in and seeing EVERYTHING on the floor between the door and the rest of the house! “cringe” was the perfect word! I especially love the copper baskets– think sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, pool passes, and… Swim goggles? Come summertime.

And- what the hay? 361 links to you party? You are unbelievable! Kudos, blog diva!

16 Carmen February 17, 2010 at 9:30 am

I have a similar set up by our back door. It looks as though you guys have a tad more space than I do though. We walk in the back door and there are hooks and then right into the kitchen I have a bench with drawers that holds cold weather accessories. Even though I didn’t want one of those shoe racks in my kitchen, I think I need to get one. It’s so much better than shoes piled on a rug. I like your wire baskets! Very cute!
Carmen´s last blog ..A chalkboard update My ComLuv Profile

17 Karen February 17, 2010 at 9:36 am

My mudroom has been a nearly 4 year work in progress. It is nearly always a mess, but I recently put a small chest of drawers in there and that is working well at least for winter stuff!

18 Janell Beals February 17, 2010 at 9:54 am

Now that is the attitude!! It looks great and appears that it functions perfectly! Great job! Janell

19 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions February 17, 2010 at 10:10 am

You did a great job here, Kimba! It looks like it meets your needs perfectly and I really like the idea of the shoe organizer. I could use something like that in our garage {we use that door all the time} for Winter boots and Summer mowing sneakers. Love the baskets and I like the spot for your little stool!
Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions´s last blog ..5 Things You Didn’t Know About . . . . My ComLuv Profile

20 Traci February 17, 2010 at 10:22 am

Kimba,
I think your mudroom is defintely good enough! I especially love the little baskets for gloves and hats…briliant. We are always running around the house looking for gloves. And usually can only find one glove out of the pair! I need to try those baskets.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Blessings,
Traci
Traci´s last blog ..Wednesdays with Wanda (A Love Story) My ComLuv Profile

21 Amanda Eck February 17, 2010 at 10:35 am

Thank you! Thank you! I needed to hear (read) that. So many times we want “the perfect” room and wait until we can afford it and so many times thats just not gonna happen-all the while we are stressed about the current condition of the place. Its the “use what you have” mentality. and good enough is just that -good enough! In the words of Babe (the movie)- “that’ll do pig, that’ll do” :-)

22 Cherish February 17, 2010 at 10:55 am

That stool you recovered is too cute! I love the fabric. Love the copper baskets, too!
Cherish´s last blog ..Dip Your Dressing My ComLuv Profile

23 Handy Man, Crafty Woman February 17, 2010 at 11:25 am

I love it! I wish we had a mud room, but we make do with hooks and baskets for items.
Handy Man, Crafty Woman´s last blog ..Decluttering in the Kitchen My ComLuv Profile

24 Twice Remembered February 17, 2010 at 11:27 am

Very nice, Kimba! Oh to be so organized!

There’s so much in my house that drives me crazy, lol – I couldn’t begin to list it all. But there is potential in everything!
Twice Remembered´s last blog ..Hardwood Flooring in Kids’ Room Completed – Finally! My ComLuv Profile

25 Jennifer Womble February 17, 2010 at 11:32 am

I think this “Good Enough” room is pretty great! And best of all, you didn’t have to spend too much!
Jennifer Womble´s last blog ..“Life is tough. I recommend getting a manicure and a really cute helmet.” My ComLuv Profile

26 Alyssa February 17, 2010 at 11:34 am

Honestly, I’m just impressed that you have some order to the chaos. My little mudroom / laundry room is a total mess 99.9% of the time. I wonder sometimes if anyone else’s house is like this. I love the “look” of the organized mudrooms but I totally wonder how anyone pulls it off. Especially with 3 children under 6.
Alyssa´s last blog ..I LOVE Writing My ComLuv Profile

27 Beth @ The Stories of A to Z February 17, 2010 at 11:37 am

I love it. The baskets on the wall are brilliant. My baskets are on the floor and that’s not working so well. Thanks for sharing it!
Beth @ The Stories of A to Z´s last blog ..Virtue Lip Gloss GIVEAWAY!!! My ComLuv Profile

28 Amanda @ Serenity Now February 17, 2010 at 11:51 am

I don’t have a mudroom, or hopes of having one any time soon, so I enjoyed living vicariously through you this morning. :) I love your copper baskets!!!
Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Progress My ComLuv Profile

29 darcy @ m3b February 17, 2010 at 11:54 am

“hanging chads”

*snort* !!!
darcy @ m3b´s last blog ..Yet another Blissdom recap. My ComLuv Profile

30 the BLAH BLAH BLAHger February 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Love the mirror…it’s the perfect detail for us gals! And the kid height coat rack is inspired!!! Great job, lady!!!
the BLAH BLAH BLAHger´s last blog ..Tool Talk Tuesday featuring Centsational Girl My ComLuv Profile

31 Kimberly February 17, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Perfect! I am off to Lowe’s to copy you ;)

The copper baskets can be used in the summer too…I’m thinking sunglasses, hats, sunscreen…

Kimberly
Kimberly´s last blog ..i’ll show you mine… My ComLuv Profile

32 The Chubby Dove February 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm

It looks great! I’m sure you have inspired some peeps out there who are looking to organize their mudrooms on a budget.

Love those copper baskets!

33 Nadir@Hodgepodge February 17, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I know that feeling all to well. Our spare room/office/crafting space is definately “good enough” right now. It’s coming along nicely & not exactly what I’d prefer but it’s getting there. :-) Love the copper baskets by the way.

34 ellen February 17, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I’m in agreement with everyone else! Isn’t it funny how we will put something off over and over again because we can’t do it just so when, in actuality, good enough is really pretty fabulous? I did something similar this weekend.

I think I love the copper baskets the most!
ellen´s last blog ..different and better My ComLuv Profile

35 Amy at The Red Chair Blog February 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Looks great! Much “gooder” than good enough! Ever since my daughter was born, I’ve learned that there are times when functional IS beautiful.
Amy at The Red Chair Blog´s last blog ..Feng Shui for Romance My ComLuv Profile

36 Ally February 17, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Hmmmm…you’ve got me thinking about my entry way, Kimba. The wheels are spinning…thanks for posting the “good enough” mudroom!
Ally´s last blog .. My ComLuv Profile

37 Susan at Charm of the Carolines February 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I’ve always wanted a mudroom. Yours is adorable!

Susan

38 Tracey February 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm

We made our entryway a “mudroom” a few years ago by adding bead board, chair rail, hooks, bench, coat tree, shelves, this, that the other thing and I just keep changing it. I cannot get it right. And you can never have enough hooks.

39 Brooke February 17, 2010 at 4:20 pm

What great ideas for organizing. Mudrooms are so hard to keep clean and straight. Love the wire baskets.
Thanks for sharing.
Brooke

40 Mary Jean Taylor February 17, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Love it! Let me know if you are still picking up those shoes and coats….I am!!! Drives me crazy too!!!
Mary Jean Taylor´s last blog ..Glazing Tutorial My ComLuv Profile

41 Heather February 17, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Love your post, and your solutions for your mudroom. Great job! I too struggle with finding the balance. I go from one extreme to another with our home. On one end it’s the “Who cares how bad it looks, it’ll never be the way I want it so it’ll just have to look horrible” to “It’s not exactly the way I want it, so I’ll never be happy until I tweak it just so”. I’m working on getting to “It’s not perfect, but it’s better than it was”.
Heather´s last blog ..Delicious Day Old Bread Casserole My ComLuv Profile

42 Julia @ Hooked on Houses February 17, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I love how the Pecan paint looks in your mudroom! I think my mudroom is the only room on our first floor where we didn’t use that color, so now I can see how good it would look if I ever painted it. :-)
Julia @ Hooked on Houses´s last blog ..Update: The Tudor Colonial Gets Curb Appeal My ComLuv Profile

43 Becky - Clean Mama February 17, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Love it! I love how you hung the baskets with 3M removeable hooks and the little mirror – great ideas!

44 Chrissy February 17, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I think you did a great job! In this current house, we don’t have a place in the entry way for our bench or baskets … so I had my husband hang the kids’ row of hooks inside the coat closet. Down low and on the side of the wall. So, they can put their shoes in the basket at the bottom of closet and still hang up their coats and backpacks. And it’s all inside the coat closet. It works … for now! I am looking forward to having a mudroom area again!!!

45 Fawn February 17, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Wow! Thanks for the shout out. I have to tell you I have been looking for baskets like that for my empty spots in my entry for hats and gloves so thank you for sharing I definitely need them.

46 jANELLE February 17, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I love your mudroom and would be thrilled to have it! I am going to add some of your items to my list to improve my entrance way – not a mud room, but it looks so cute that I think my entrace would be so much more functional and be cute! Thanks for great ideas!!

47 ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage & Junkologie February 17, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Liking that copper basket! We need to get a Lowe’s around here!!
ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage & Junkologie´s last blog ..WhisperWood Cottage Home Tour…Be Prepared! My ComLuv Profile

48 Grace February 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I love your new mudroom – totally cute and totally organized. I wouldn’t take those baskets down in the summer. I would use them for sunblock, summer hats, and cameras (or something like that).

I did something similar in my laundry room. I knew it would be years, if ever, that we would spend the money on doing it properly so for about $77 I made it over (http://gracie-senseandsimplicity.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-frugal-cottage-laundry-room.html).
Grace´s last blog ..Bathroom Inspiration My ComLuv Profile

49 Jane February 17, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Eight snow days! Have mercy! Sending you lots of *warm* sun from LA.
I think your fake it till you make it plan looks great!
Jane´s last blog ..Quilling Week: My Second Project- Laundry Line Card My ComLuv Profile

50 MarytheKay February 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Oh, I LOVE the low hooks, high hooks. What a fabulous, yet simple idea! I think I might have to copy that!
MarytheKay´s last blog ..I’m not trying to invent the chicken, just the chicken flavor My ComLuv Profile

51 Kimm at REINVENTED February 17, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I am in love with those copper baskets! We have cupboards in our mudroom (up high, because it used to be the laundry room), and hooks for backpacks, but nothing for wet gloves and hats and such. Right now, they are all over the floor. Yuck. I’m heading to Lowe’s tomorrow to tell them that I want what Kimba has!!
Kimm at REINVENTED´s last blog ..Trash to Treasure Tuesday—Flea Market Style My ComLuv Profile

52 becca banana February 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm

In summer you could put sunscreen, sidewalk chalk, sunglasses, bubbles… or something! Very cute new arrangement. I like the bench too.

53 Julie February 17, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Good enough, yes and much better than mine. I’ll have to snap some photos of it. It works somewhat but you have given me a couple of ideas — like the shoe racks and the cubbies!
Julie´s last blog ..SOUP My ComLuv Profile

54 The Scooper February 18, 2010 at 12:25 am

Brilliant. You are so my kind of girl. “Good enough” killed “Perfect” some time ago in my house. I am dying for a mud area. I don’t have an actual room but I’ve been brainstorming. Love your doable ideas!
The Scooper´s last blog ..Slaying the Loch Ness Mommy My ComLuv Profile

55 Kara February 18, 2010 at 12:46 am

I think your mud room looks great! And all the sudden I am feeling a need to head to Lowe’s. ;)
Kara´s last blog ..Look what I Made! Day – Crochet Flowers My ComLuv Profile

56 Kolein V. Carlson February 18, 2010 at 9:43 am

The space is laid out so nicely. Everything can easily be put in its appropriate spot! Just PERFECT!

YES, I’m dealing with this very thing. It’s my entry way! A bunch of suggestions have been made on how to make it better. It’s a tight squeeze for all of us to enter and causes so much stress up entering, leaving and then the clean up in between! I totally relate and am looking for solutions. Thank you for putting up the links. I’m going to take a look right now at them all!

Have a great day coming and going!
~Kolein
Kolein V. Carlson´s last blog ..Whimsical Wednesdays My ComLuv Profile

57 Anna February 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

oh my goodness…HANGING CHADS…thanks for making me laugh out loud this morning!! (The mudroom looks great, too! )

58 Amber February 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I think your “Good Enough” mudroom is great! Good organization alone can make such a difference in the room feeling cozier and less cluttered which equals good instead of stressful.

59 Stephanie @ Geezees February 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Your mudroom is definitely “good enough”…i think my mudroom might need a little makeover now :)
Stephanie @ Geezees´s last blog ..Kissing Canvases …. You Capture Theme "KISSES", Wordless Wednesday My ComLuv Profile

60 Mandi February 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I did a post like this recently…I was getting paralyzed with not organizing if it wasn’t going to look perfect. I finally threw that off and just jumped in and did it. It’s nowhere at ALL what I wanted, but things are organized and I know where they are. Things have a proper home. I have the worlds ugliest bathroom and for like a year and a half I never decorated it bc it was so ugly. And I finally did. And though the space is still ugly, it’s got some touches of cuteness. Good enough.

I adore what you’ve done with your mudroom. Especially like the little mirror!
Mandi´s last blog ..The Bathroom: Tragedy and Triumph My ComLuv Profile

61 Tara February 18, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Thankyou!Thankyou!Thankyou! for saying this! I just posted something about getting things started and my fear of it! You touched on one of my biggest trouble spots in the house too! Thanks for kicking me in the rear to just do what is good enough when I don’t have time (or resources) enough to do it the fabulous way I would like!
Tara´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesdays My ComLuv Profile

62 niki February 19, 2010 at 7:08 am

Fab job with the mudroom! Our drop off area needs some serious work. I am inspired.

niki´s last blog ..Search Your Way to Gift Cards, Cash, and More! My ComLuv Profile

63 Gussy February 19, 2010 at 1:24 pm

i love your little mirror on the shelf. in your mudroom. sew cute! xo
Gussy´s last blog ..{Featured Artist: Paint Me a Picture} My ComLuv Profile

64 Rona February 20, 2010 at 4:35 pm

My favorite is the shoe shelves.
This would be very handy when we were living on the east coast.
Rona´s last blog ..Family Game Night! Uno Mod {Review & Giveaway} My ComLuv Profile

65 Tomena Reed February 20, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love it! At the moment we are adding on and you walk right into our dinning room… I have shoes and coats and MUD right there and no where to contain it..and 5 kids all under 9….Hopefully soon I’ll have an entryway and a mudroom/laundry room… but having the room doesn’t mean its done…SO I LOVE your’s!
Tomena Reed´s last blog ..new background My ComLuv Profile

66 Wendy February 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Great ideas.

I drew up fantastic plans of an amazing mudroom right off our garage. Unfortunately, it would require expanding the footprint of our house, so it’s more of a fantasy than possibility.

So, scaling back, I drew up plans for my man to build a bench, complete with storage that can sit just inside our front door. I’ve envisioned something similar to what you’ve done. Definitely love the idea of Good Enough. Because sometimes good enough is the only option.
Wendy´s last blog ..Kam My ComLuv Profile

67 Richtsje February 22, 2010 at 7:31 am

We had some plans for our very tiny laundryroom and your blog gives some great eye-openers to me as well.
You did a fine job in there, tidying everything is just what we need in here as well ;-)

68 Dawn February 22, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I LOVE your attitude about Good Enough….I had the same shoe rack and attitude for several years until we could afford the materials and time to update our mudroom. I have that posted here: http://www.getapursenality.com/search/label/mudroom%20makeover and I still LOVE it. Someday you will get around to making that dream come true…..I did!!

69 Wendy February 26, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Love your good enough mud room – gave me some good ideas for mine! Thanks!
Wendy´s last blog ..Wishing for Spring – making it happen! My ComLuv Profile