Eddie Bauer Pecan ~ My New Favorite Paint Color

by Kimba on February 24, 2010

in Do it yourself

eddie bauer pecan lowes

I received a bunch of emails and comments from people asking what color paint I used on the walls in my Good Enough Mudroom. It’s my new favorite paint color, Eddie Bauer Pecan from Lowes. (No they’re not paying me to say that.)

julias family room

photo: Hooked on Houses

I was introduced to this glorious color by Julia from Hooked on Houses. I emailed her to ask what colors she used in her family room and her dining room. Turns out it was the same color…Eddie Bauer Pecan! I would never declare my love based on a picture online, since colors vary so much from monitor to monitor. But when I came home with a sample, I was smitten.

And when I put it on the wall? Full-blown adoration. It’s a beautiful, rich neutral that feels substantial but not overwhelming. If I had to choose, I would say it’s a cool color. It looks so beautiful with white trim, but I love it against my cherry cabinets too!

valspar paint can

If you’re an house blog reader, then you probably know that a certain little birdie swears that Tobacco Road is the most perfectly beautiful paint color. Now, far be it from me to start a paint color rumble, but Eddie Bauer Pecan makes me say Tobacco Who? I’m just saying. {Smooches to My Favorite Birdie…and a little paint for your hair.)

eddie bauer pecan valspar

We have a open floor-plan and now that the mudroom is done, I am in process of Pecan-ifying my kitchen, dining nook, family room, front hall, staircase and upstairs hallway.  Heaven help me. It’s a huge project, but I’m the Little Engine that Could (Paint). I think I (Pe)can. I think I (Pe)can.

paint samples on the wall

Want a little tip about picking paint colors? Make yourself some bigger samples. I buy a sample pots and paint a whole sheet of poster board. Then I can move it around the room and see it in different lights and at different times of the day.

Don’t forget to leave a comment on this week’s DIY Day to be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from Lisa Leonard Designs! There are 2 prizes this week and you DON’T have to link up to win!

Let’s hear from you! What’s your favorite paint color?

1 Jessica @ This Blessed Life February 24, 2010 at 8:10 am

You are so funny! Thanks for the paint tip – I’ve been thinking about changing our dining room color and this might be perfect!
Jessica @ This Blessed Life´s last blog ..Easy Baked Potato Casserole My ComLuv Profile

2 suzanne February 24, 2010 at 8:14 am

You ARE funny!!! I think I might like that as well….so how does it compare to Tobacco road? cooler color?

Suzanne
suzanne´s last blog ..Celebrate!, a magazine review My ComLuv Profile

3 Kimba February 24, 2010 at 8:51 am

When I compared it to my sample of Tobacco Road, I thought it was just a little bit cooler.

4 The Nester February 24, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Tobacco Road is a very warm kahki tan? color with a dash of yellow and a dash of green. Your pecans are going to beat up my tobacco. Dying to see it in person–it looks lovely!
The Nester´s last blog ..Delightful Links My ComLuv Profile

5 Pam @ Design Fanatic February 24, 2010 at 8:30 am

I have such a difficult time choosing paint colors that I like. Love, love, love the little paint samples you can purchase now from HD or Lowes. When choosing a paint color I narrow it down to 2 or 3 colors & purchase small samples. I almost always end up mixing colors together to create my own color, then I go back to the store & have them color match it.
I am definitely going to check out Pecan … my family room needs painting :)
Pam @ Design Fanatic´s last blog ..a new beginning … My ComLuv Profile

6 Julia @ Hooked on Houses February 24, 2010 at 8:36 am

I’m so glad it works for you, too! I do love that color. It started in my family room and has spread to my foyer, dining room, kitchen, and upstairs hallway. It’s a great neutral without being too wishy-washy. Quite a few of my readers have used it now and report that they love it, too. I should be getting a thank-you note from Eddie Bauer any day now… ;-)
Julia @ Hooked on Houses´s last blog ..Hang a Chair on Your Wall, Why Don’t You? My ComLuv Profile

7 Kimba February 24, 2010 at 8:48 am

I’m thinking that thank-you note should be full of a big thank-you check. :)

8 Erika February 24, 2010 at 8:37 am

Phew! I’m so glad you like this color ’cause its taken over pretty much my entire main floor. I’ve got 5 rooms in variations of this shade, baby. Its so friendly and looks great with wood finishes!! Great post.
Erika´s last blog ..Trashed Coffee Table Re-do My ComLuv Profile

9 jennifer, playgroups are no place for children February 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

Oooh! I love that!!

I think my favorite paint color is Restricted Gold from Sherwin Williams. It makes me so sad that not one wall of my new(ish) house has that color. We’ve just been too lazy to paint!

10 The Nester February 24, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I think you are talking about Restrained Gold {restricted/restrained} it’s a little more yellow than Tobacco Road and my guess–much warmer than Kimba’s color, very pretty.
The Nester´s last blog ..Delightful Links My ComLuv Profile

11 Amy at The Red Chair Blog February 24, 2010 at 9:11 am

Thanks for the tip! I’m always on the lookout for great paint colors to add to my “collection” to share with clients. I’ll have to check this one out. Eddie Bauer “Fig” is another interesting color. (Not my favorite, just a neat color). It’s VERY saturated, so I’ve used it in dining rooms and powder rooms…rooms where drama is OK!
Amy at The Red Chair Blog´s last blog ..DIY Book Wreath Tutorial–My Lazy Variation My ComLuv Profile

12 Amy at The Red Chair Blog February 24, 2010 at 9:14 am

PS- “Fig” looks fabulous next to light,gray blues.

13 Deborah February 24, 2010 at 9:23 am

Kimba,

Chocolate goes so well with pecans, don’t you think?! Love the color. Thanks for sharing.

Deborah
Deborah´s last blog ..Fabulous Finds, Wonderful Windfalls My ComLuv Profile

14 Karen February 24, 2010 at 9:27 am

Right now I am loving the family room color County Cork. I think it was a RL color, but we had it mixed in a cheaper paint:)

15 Beverly @ The Buzz February 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

Thanks for sharing this–it’s a great color. I painted one of my bathrooms with Tobacco Road and am not too crazy about it, but am not up to repainting just yet. What color is your trim?
Beverly @ The Buzz´s last blog ..Friends Don’t Let Friends…. My ComLuv Profile

16 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage February 24, 2010 at 9:54 am

What a pretty color!

I am currently stuck on “seredipity” by Porter Paints, which I found when Restore paint shopping. It was truly a seredipitous find, and the light aqua was the perfect color for my upcoming living room project. I’ve already put a sample on the wall and LOVE it!
Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage´s last blog ..Have you seen these? My ComLuv Profile

17 Angie February 24, 2010 at 9:56 am

I love it!! It’s a great color I will have to keep this color in mind, I just painted my living room Tabacco Road last summer and I love it!!
Angie´s last blog ..Brock’s poem My ComLuv Profile

18 Fawn February 24, 2010 at 10:02 am

What a great color. Good luck getting all your painting done. I’m exhausted just thinking about it.
Fawn´s last blog ..Dollar Store Place Mat Wall Art My ComLuv Profile

19 SJN February 24, 2010 at 10:04 am

Funny to hear you all talk about “tobacco road”. I have “plantation beige” in my main living areas, a golden tan color. Isn’t that one up from TR?
My new fave color is “rushing river” by Duron. A soft seafoam. Check it out here: http://countryclublivin.blogspot.com/2009/10/tada-and-finally-bedroom-reveal.html

20 Andréann February 24, 2010 at 10:15 am

That is the color that was on my appartement walls when we moved in (it’s still there) And It was the color of my childhood bedroom… But I never liked it! I find is dull and depressing, and no decor accent match with it.. but that’s just my opinion… After seing it for 20 years, i just don’t like it!
Andréann´s last blog ..Leg Warmers! My ComLuv Profile

21 Kristi @ The Thrifty Gypsy February 24, 2010 at 11:13 am

That color does look lucious! I’m going to have to pick up that sample next time I’m at Lowe’s! So glad I stopped today because I have a paint color folder ready for when we move!! I love tan/gold colors that go with everything. I have LA Gold4, SW blonde and SW Antique white in my home now. Of course mixed with some greens! :)
Kristi @ The Thrifty Gypsy´s last blog ..Old faithful My ComLuv Profile

22 Katie February 24, 2010 at 11:29 am

I used Pecan a few years ago in our old house. I am sure that it is was helped us to sell it. I really loved that color! Glad to know I am not the only one!

23 Traci February 24, 2010 at 11:41 am

Kimba,
I am loving that color! And your den is gorgeous!
So warm and inviting.
Blessings,
Traci
Traci´s last blog ..Wednesdays with Wanda My ComLuv Profile

24 Beth @ The Stories of A to Z February 24, 2010 at 11:43 am

I like it! Looks fab. I might have to just steal it as my own :) .
Beth @ The Stories of A to Z´s last blog ..Family Rules Window My ComLuv Profile

25 Susan February 24, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I’m a yellow girl myself, so I love Golden Straw by BM. I also love Robbin’s egg blue, so Ralph Lauren Celery fits that perfectly. I’m moving to some gray tones too which is weird because I typically don’t like gray at all. That tan does look good. If I ever go tan anywhere I may have to give it a try.
Susan´s last blog ..Painting My ComLuv Profile

26 nell ann February 24, 2010 at 12:21 pm

You are too funny with you’re “I think I {pe}can.” Adorable. Good luck with all that painting!!!

27 Amanda @geekdetails February 24, 2010 at 12:46 pm

My favorite right now is “Fairmount Penthouse Mosaic Blue” from lowe’s historic paint line. it looks just lovely with my white trim!

28 Jennifer February 24, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Oh yes I do love this color, my poor house is stark white inside except for the bathrooms which I’ve painted but oh I do love this Pecan might have to stop by Lowe’s on the way home and show my honey the color! Our tax return might have a new purpose…
Jennifer´s last blog ..Getting To Know You My ComLuv Profile

29 Rebecca February 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Oh to find the paint color that is perfect for me…..does it exist?

30 Amanda @ Serenity Now February 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Oo–a paint smackdown between Kimba and the Nester! ;)

I have a similar color called “Cliveden Sandstone” in most of the rooms on my first floor. I’m going to go one shade lighter in my kitchen to cover up the yellow that I’ve grown tired of.

I like neutrals like that…they still go with everything, but it’s “spicier” than plain old builder beige.
Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..February Chick Flick Club Night My ComLuv Profile

31 Heather February 24, 2010 at 2:23 pm

i am smitten!!
Heather´s last blog ..CRICUT BARGAIN ALERT!! My ComLuv Profile

32 Christina February 24, 2010 at 2:47 pm

That is a beautiful color!

33 Sara Lehman February 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

My new favorite line of paint colors is the new line of Glidden paint at Home Depot. I LOVE, LOVE it because they sort the paints based on undertones and what paints coordinate. I am the triangle category. There is also a star category, circle category, etc. My entire house looks incredible because I’m matching everything to their color categories! I now know what accent colors will look fantastic in each room. Check it out next time you’re at Home Depot.

34 Angie @ Seriously... A Homemaker! February 24, 2010 at 3:16 pm

You are so funny.. you make me laugh!

Would you say that this pecan color has a yellow hue to it? or not?

Me no like yellowy taupe.

Me thinks (poo)can too. :-)

35 Becky February 24, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Sounds yummy–I love pecans especially in brown sugar, a little butter. and wouldn’t brown sugar and butter colors look great with this color too!
Becky´s last blog ..Pass The Plate My ComLuv Profile

36 Carmie of the Single Nester February 24, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I do love that Pecan color. I will have to remember that the next time I paint.
Carmie of the Single Nester´s last blog ..Picture Frame Necklace Organizer My ComLuv Profile

37 Stacey @ The Blessed Nest February 24, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Such a pretty paint color, it’s right up my alley! My current fav paint color is Reflection by Mr. S. Williams. It is dreamy. The softest, most lovely grey-blue color EVER. And I mean that with my whole heart! Going to stare lovingly at my bedroom walls now……
Blessings,
Stacey
Stacey @ The Blessed Nest´s last blog ..What Do YOU Collect? My ComLuv Profile

38 Tammy February 24, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I just did the same thing. I swear by cup of cocoa by Behr and painted my bedroom that color. Loved it so much that I painted our dining room that and it went from there down the hall – into the craft room, the mud room, the living room, up the staircase and down the upstairs hallway. It still needs to spread its magic in my office but that is another day. :)
Tammy´s last blog ..Happy 15th Birthday Jon Jon My ComLuv Profile

39 Becky February 24, 2010 at 6:22 pm

PS–I had set this show my photo and it used to but isn’t again???
Becky´s last blog ..Pass The Plate My ComLuv Profile

40 The Nester February 24, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I love hearing great paint colors. If we ever move and we ever get to paint again, I’m seriously considering painting everything white. It’s a sickness. A warm white though. If that exists.
The Nester´s last blog ..Delightful Links My ComLuv Profile

41 Jennifer Allwood February 24, 2010 at 10:28 pm

no, no, no white….. really? you’re killin’ me here….
Jennifer Allwood´s last blog ..The gift of an ordinary day My ComLuv Profile

42 cara March 4, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Cashmere White (Kilz) is the best white. I don’t like stark white… I’m renovating a 120 year old home.. using Cashmere for all of my woodwork!
cara´s last blog ..Alright.. My ComLuv Profile

43 cori February 24, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I do like the pecan color, I also like dunsmore cream benjamin moore.

44 Richella February 24, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I really like your Pecan! Although it’s not the least bit like the color of a pecan. Or even a praline. But still. It’s lovely.

Check out these three colors, all by Benjamin Moore: Bradstreet Beige, Brookline Beige, Jackson Tan. Historical colors all. I love these–all neutral, but different shades. All related.

Isn’t it amazing how many different shades of khaki there are?

45 Jennifer Allwood February 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I wish I knew more about Lowe’s paint colors. Since i work mostly with builders and designers…. probably 95% of them use only Sherwin Williams or Benny Moore (Benjamin Moore). It looks pretty!!!!
Jennifer Allwood´s last blog ..The gift of an ordinary day My ComLuv Profile

46 Lindsey February 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Wow! That’s a lovely color! I have no idea what the color of my walls are (live in a parsonage). I do like the color. I need to ask!

47 Susan February 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I also like EB Pecan!! We have it in our master bath. I got turned on to it by one of our painters. But my favorite color (today) is BM Pittsfield Buff. Love, love, love….

48 Wendy Hagen February 25, 2010 at 2:28 am

I know this is a post about pretty paint color, but I just can’t get over the fact that you actually have a mudroom. I thought those only existed in Pottery Barn catalogs.

49 Melanie February 25, 2010 at 8:54 am

I love paint and I love paint names. Right now I am loving Prarie Dust. It is just a great color. Next time I am using your idea of the poster board. I have never done that but I usually love the paint I pick out the first time. I like the color you have picked out.
Melanie´s last blog ..Goals for today My ComLuv Profile

50 Malisa February 25, 2010 at 11:54 am

My favorite paint color is Silver Sage from Restoration Hardware. However, their paint is very pricey, so I just take their color sample card over to my local Sherwin Williams store and have them color match it. Silver Sage covers some of the walls in my kitchen and great room. I am considering adding it to my bedroom walls and master bath walls. Lovely color…at different time of day it looks different colors…gray, blue, green. Very spa like and mixes great with browns! It would look beautiful with your much loved Pecan! :)

Malisa

51 Kimba February 25, 2010 at 4:44 pm

YES! YES! I love Silver Sage! I actually love a lot of Restoration Hardware’s colors. I have Cappuccino and Latte in my bedroom and master bath. Love them both.

Their paint is a little pricey but they had a 20% off sale sometime last year and that made it about the same as other brands.

52 Becky B February 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I’ve always loved Ralph Lauren ‘Sisal’ for a neutral but this looks beautiful too – I’ll have to check it out!
Becky B´s last blog ..Before the Throne My ComLuv Profile

53 Kim @ Cheap Chic Home February 25, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your new pecan crush. A good friend just told me today she was looking for something butterscotch-ish for a paint color. We’ll be checking it out.
Kim @ Cheap Chic Home´s last blog ..Pillow Slipcovers! My ComLuv Profile

54 Tausha February 25, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Kimba-
Love it! I am loving it so much I am thinking that I just might have to go and get me a sample can to put on the wall in my family room.(which the whole room is red-i didn’t paint it that way, the previous owners did. I HATE IT!
I do have a fav color-tavern taupe by kwall howells. (local company I think) it’s a lovely tan that takes on whatever hue you put it with. It’s one of my favorite neutrals. I was looking for a bit warmer color for the family room-so thank you sooo much! Love your blog and all the inspiration you offer daily! Keep up the great work girl!!

55 The Cookie Girl February 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Great Color. I use a similar color in my home. It just keeps everything fresh and clean. I love it.
The Cookie Girl´s last blog ..A Cookie Girl Gone Healthy~ McGriddle Style My ComLuv Profile

56 Melissa February 25, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I think it’s now Eddie Bauer Pecan! Gorgeous!!!

57 Elisabeth February 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I love the color Silver Sage by Benjamin Moore. I also love the color of the Nester’s armoire!
Elisabeth´s last blog ... My ComLuv Profile

58 My First Kitchen February 26, 2010 at 5:18 pm

A paint color rumble… love it. A few of our rooms are painted a color called Chocolate Froth. Nothing too exciting (the man isn’t too into color), but ohmygoodness how can I NOT have a color in my house called Chocolate Froth?!
My First Kitchen´s last blog ..Time for a Giveaway! My ComLuv Profile

59 Stephanie Tarver April 7, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I fell in love with this color a few years ago. First I painted the halls , foyer and up the stairs. I loved it so much, now I have painted my master bedroom and formal living room with it. Of cource, all with white painted trim makes it pop.

60 Alicia April 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I love this color..I have it almost everywhere…I’m just curious though, have you found a “love” color that goes with it? I have an adjoining kitchen and I really want a different color, but samples matched to EB Pecan is a dark red or brickish (is that a word? lol)…Would love to see what lighter brighter colors would work with it. I’m off today to buy sample jars and see…Any help?