Can You Rehab a Rehab?

by Kimba on February 15, 2010

in Furniture Rehab

stool after 2

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, then you’ve probably seen this stool before.

stool collage

It was a thrift store find that I fancied up with bright yellow paint and some damask fabric. It’s been used in several different spots in my house over the last 1-1/2 years. But I had grown weary of it’s bright color, so it was time to rehab the rehab.

stool after close up

I primed the wooden frame with Rustoleum white primer and painted it with Rustoleum American Accents white paint in a glossy finish. I usually prefer a satin finish but this was a “use what you have” project.

stool after

Recovering the seat of a stool or a chair is super easy if you use a staple gun. Check out this old post for detailed instructions for recovering a seat.

It’s perfect for a new spot that I’ll be sharing with you later this week.

What about you? Have you ever rehabbed a rehab?

1 The Cookie Girl February 15, 2010 at 9:01 am

cute stool. Love the new makeover. The yellow was pretty too.
Have a great Monday
The Cookie Girl´s last blog ..I Heart Valentine’s Day! My ComLuv Profile

2 Michelle February 15, 2010 at 9:34 am

Kim, this looks amazing. I am a huge fan of the bright yellow, but something about this new makeover just works. LOVE it.
Michelle´s last blog ..An Anniversary Like No Other My ComLuv Profile

3 deedee February 15, 2010 at 9:30 am

Yes, I can say we’ve done that too! We have a few chairs that have been recovered more than once! I love your redo!
Dee Dee

4 Teri from Indiana February 15, 2010 at 9:33 am

Great rehab of a rehab. To answer your question….yes. Many times. I had bought a little side table with a drawer at an auction, painted the top a mint green. Hated it but used it for a few years….it’s now black with an antique glass knob and getting ready for it’s new home in the living room. Bought a bench someone had made out of an old spool bed. They had antiqued a really ugly blue. It’s now black & sitting on our front porch with new cushions bought from an end of season sale of a local manufactor of patio furniture cushions,

5 Amanda @ Serenity Now February 15, 2010 at 9:42 am

So funny you should write about this today, Kimba. :) I recovered the cushion on a rehab chair in our Addition last year (T helped me with the folding/stapling part). It’s lovely fabric, but the colors don’t go with the rest of the room right now. I was wondering if I ought to change it again, but worried about having “wasted” the fabric on the cushion. Thanks for the encouragement. :)
Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..An Icing Tip You’ll Fall in Love With My ComLuv Profile

6 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions February 15, 2010 at 9:42 am

Absolutely! That’s the great thing about these little pieces, too. It’s a quicker project to rehab the rehab!
Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions´s last blog ..What To Do With All Those Great Ideas? My ComLuv Profile

7 Mary February 15, 2010 at 9:52 am

I have never rehabed anything, but since finding your blog a couple of weeks ago, I have been to the thrift store 3 times looking for something to rehab! I can’t wait until I find something. So far, everything I find isn’t solid wood (one of your pre-requistes!). But I am still looking!!!
Mary´s last blog ..4 Months My ComLuv Profile

8 Amanda February 15, 2010 at 9:55 am

Where did you purchase that fabric? It’s exactly what I have been looking for to recover some chairs.

9 Kimba February 15, 2010 at 10:04 am

Hi Amanda,

That fabric came from Joann Fabrics. It’s in their (inexpensive) 45″ fabric section. At my store, those fabrics are regularly $9.99 a yard but they often go on sale or you can use a 40% off coupon.
Kimba´s last blog ..Can You Rehab a Rehab? My ComLuv Profile

10 ClassiclyAmber February 15, 2010 at 10:04 am

That stool is so cute! And I thought your previous rehab on it was cute, but I REALLY love the new do!

And BTW I’ve been looking for a stool like that. If you turn it upside down and put the cushion on the inside, it make a pretty 4 poster bed for a small cat or dog! :D

11 Darla February 15, 2010 at 10:09 am

Yes! Junk never dies, it just comes back a little better.
We’re Luvin’ It!
Dana, Darla & Greg
the Redneck Junkers

12 Traci February 15, 2010 at 10:08 am

Kimba,
I love the stool. The fabric is perfect. I have rehabbed my curtain in my office, and I think I may be doing some rehabbing again this week. Just can’t get the “look” I am after. UGH!
Have a great day!
Traci
Traci´s last blog ..I’m crazy about containers! My ComLuv Profile

13 Heather February 15, 2010 at 10:44 am

i love the brown and white version – so pretty!!
Heather´s last blog ..Clipboard Makeover My ComLuv Profile

14 Sarah February 15, 2010 at 10:53 am

I like the rehabbed rehab–but I really like the damask you used on the original rehab, too!

And yes, I’ve rehabbed my rehabs. Most noticeably my mistreatments–I did and redid those several times. Now I don’t have any mistreatments (although I do have dropcloth drapes that I love!) and I’ve finally realized that although I really like the mistreatments other people have done, they’re just not right for myhouse.
Sarah´s last blog ..Made By You! My ComLuv Profile

15 Handy Man, Crafty Woman February 15, 2010 at 11:18 am

I have rehabbed a rehab often! A lot of the stuff in our house is a rehab, lol! I don’t do as much with material, but make a lot of changes with paint and/or new hardware.

16 Amy at The Red Chair Blog February 15, 2010 at 11:19 am

I like both rehabs! And yes, I rehab rehabs all the time! One little wooden stool in my house was unfinished when I bought it. In the five years that I’ve owned it, I’ve moved it between rooms and even out onto the front porch, and it has been painted and re-painted: light blue, then red, then sage green. It’s currently on its 4th coat of paint and is painted a kind of “Ballard Designs green” (it also sports some ball fringe trim). I think small pieces like this are great candidates for rehabs–quick and easy!
Amy at The Red Chair Blog´s last blog ..Feng Shui for Romance My ComLuv Profile

17 Eileen@Star'sFault February 15, 2010 at 11:50 am

I do it ALL the time, I mean, good junk is good junk and that’s the fun of having repurposed items, you have already given yourself the freedom to make it different, whatever decorating muse strikes you, whenever it strikes. How fun is that!!

Blessings ~ Eileen@Star’s Fault

18 Cara @ Live the Home Life February 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

I think I rehabed its long lost twin!…

Your’s looks fabulous! Maybe I need to rehab my rehab and paint the legs white.

-Cara @ Live the Home Life

19 Teri February 15, 2010 at 11:58 am

Oh I love it…both ways actually…I need to find myself one of those little stools!

20 Ally February 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I think I’m too much of a newbie to have rehabbed a rehab, but I have no doubt that someday I will! I like the new look! Great fabric.

21 Amy February 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I just rehabbed a couple of previously rehabbed chairs. Oddly, my “new” fabric looks very similar to your “old” fabric. Glad we’re both happy with our results. Good work!
Amy´s last blog ..Grandma’s Chair Re-Do My ComLuv Profile

22 Piper Foster February 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I had never thought about it before but your post made me realize my whole design style could be summed up by the phrase, “rehabbing a rehab”. Funny. I love the way your stool turned out-glossy white is so beautiful to me.

This is one of my favorite rehabbing a rehab projects:

23 Richella February 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I love to rehab rehabs. Somehow the fact that I’ve already worked on them makes me feel free to change them again. In some ways I wish I could develop this attitude toward all my things. It’s too easy for me to consider an item sacred and unchangeable.

I look forward to seeing what you’re up to with this little beauty!
Richella´s last blog ..Whose day? My ComLuv Profile

24 lea helmerich February 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm

super idea that turned out really cute!

i could use a little rehab on my old look. :)

25 Melany February 15, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I love it! Both ways…but I think the new way is even fresher and more classic looking. I actually just posted a rehabbed rehab today. LOL. It’s a dresser we keep changing to meet my son’s current taste/age. I wonder what it will look like in 20 years? Maybe back to it’s original state in our guest room?!

26 Infarrantly Creative February 15, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Absolutely I have rehabbed a rehab…
I like this version of the stool the bestest…
Infarrantly Creative´s last blog ..Bathroom Mini Remodel My ComLuv Profile

27 TidyMom February 15, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I have a little foot stool I picked up about 6 months ago….I still sitting in my basement…..I need to pull it out and decide what to do with it! LOL….thanks for the reminder!
TidyMom´s last blog ..Happy Valentines Day! I {mini} loaf you! My ComLuv Profile

28 gail February 15, 2010 at 9:55 pm

That’s what is so great about what we do… a little paint… a little fabric, and ya got a whole new piece to love!
It looks fab!
gail
gail´s last blog ..Modified Logan Media Center Base My ComLuv Profile

29 somedaycrafts February 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm

REhab away, baby! It looks HOT!

30 grannyann February 15, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Love your redo. I like the white better than the yellow.
grannyann´s last blog ..Valentine’s Day My ComLuv Profile

31 New Every Morning February 16, 2010 at 9:08 am

These chairs have been recovered 5 times and then finally got a paint rehab for our dining room. http://neweveryam.blogspot.com/2008/08/chairs-what-exciting-title.html

I love fabric re-covers! :)
New Every Morning´s last blog ..May I Suggest… My ComLuv Profile

32 {The Classy Woman} February 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Ooo! I’m loving the new fabric! I love neutrals and it turned out great! I did a stool transformation too several months ago and it turned out great. :)

{The Classy Woman}´s last blog ..Reader Request: Stationery Savvy My ComLuv Profile

33 Amy February 18, 2010 at 9:44 am

I have a stool just like this one that is in desperate need of a redo. Thanks for the inspiration!
Amy´s last blog ..You Are My ComLuv Profile