Resolutions Schmesolutions

by Kimba on January 11, 2010

in Faith and Family

2010 in the sandAlways late to the party. That’s me.

It’s now January 11, 2010 and I have yet to put any real thought into my goals for the new year. In a sense, that’s good. It means I haven’t broken any resolutions yet.

After minutes and minutes of intense thought and prayer, I’ve come up with a few goals for myself.

1. Lose 10 lbs before Blissdom. Note to self: Stop. Eating. All. The. Cookies.

2. Learn to put on eye makeup. I’m deep like an ocean, no? But seriously. How is it possible that a pushing 40 year-old woman can’t put on her own eye makeup? Left to my own devices, I’d still be wearing 1982 sparkly blue eyeshadow with the matching eyeliner. Does anyone know any good makeup bloggers? Maybe she’d trade makeup lessons for spray painting lessons.

3. Be more purposeful in my blogging…Less “Jump on to check my email and get sucked into the blogging vortex.” More “Plan my time wisely and keep things in their proper place.” God and my family absolutely must be my first priorities. I am embarrassed to admit that there have been too many times when my online life has gotten in the way of my real-line life. I am making the commitment to my family that email, blogging, facespace, mybook, comments and twitter will all take a backseat to them.

4. Get back in the habit of rising before my kids, so there’s some quiet time before they start making a ruckus. I’ve fallen into the bad habit of staying in bed until I hear them squirming around, or worse, until they’re knocking on my noggin asking for breakfast. Last year, I joined the 5:16 Club and fell of the wagon no less than 15 times. So I’m dusting off my alarm clock and giving it another try. And another. And another.

Do you have any resolutions that you want to share? And seriously, do you know any makeup bloggers?

photo credit: debaird

1 Rosaline January 11, 2010 at 8:17 am

I adopt a word each year and try to live by it. This year I’ve adopted 2 words – selling and opportunites. I want to fine a way to sell my sewing goods on the internet and I want to see an opportunity each day, especially in negative things. Re makeup blogs, I don’t know any, and I’m also looking for blogs on jewellry making and refashioning clothes for adult women. Very hard to fine.

2 Get Your Martha On January 11, 2010 at 8:45 am

Hey, those are great resolutions. I should adopt #3 as well. I don’t actually blog as much as you do, but I do get sucked into the vortex and waste a lot of time chasing rabbit trails in blogland. If I was more organized, I might actually find time to complete projects and blog about them!

My only resolution this year is to actually dress up for Halloween. Each year I underestimate how much it will mean to my kids for me to dress up, so I don’t. They’re always disappointed when I appear to go trick-or-treating in a parka (my husband dresses up, so I’m really the odd one out). Would it kill me to wear a costume? I’ve decided to be prepared this year and just do it.

3 Stephanie @ Bona Fide January 11, 2010 at 8:47 am

This year I made a One Word resolution: Happiness. I am going to strive for happiness in every aspect of my life. Not just for me, but for my family, friends, everyone else in my life! I blogged about it here:
I also chose One Word for my photography: RED (to coincide with Happiness).
Also this year instead of making the old “40 Things Before I’m 40″ list, this year I instead chose to make a “20+10 in 2010″ list. (30 things I’d like to accomplish in 2010.

Thanks for sharing – I love your goals!!
Stephanie @ Bona Fide´s last blog ..burnt toast My ComLuv Profile

4 Autum January 11, 2010 at 8:49 am

I don’t know any makeup bloggers, but Edie at Life in Grace did a post a while back about makeup. Here’s a link http://lifeongrace.blogspot.com/2009/10/must-have-makeup-tips-oh-to-be-25-again.html

5 UmaPreve January 11, 2010 at 8:53 am

Hi there, very interesting resolutions you have there.. I can help when it comes to makeup application. Check out my blog. Also there are many Youtube tutorials showing eye makeup application.

Hope this helps.
UmaPreve
UmaPreve´s last blog ..Sewing project: Self drafted pattern My ComLuv Profile

6 Jenn @ Livin' the Simple Life January 11, 2010 at 8:59 am

Here’s some deep and thoughtful advice to go with your makeup resolution….try the Bare Minerals Eyes Kit – it’s amazing and completely goof-proof! I LOVE that stuff! :)

Jenn @ Livin’ the Simple Life´s last blog ..Distressed Dresser My ComLuv Profile

7 Lori H January 11, 2010 at 9:10 am

Shoot, I was going to tell you about Edie’s post on LifeinGrace too. Well, now you know…again! And I don’t know how to give you a link in the comments, so I am glad that Autum did!

8 Kacey @ Shes.No.Martha. January 11, 2010 at 9:14 am

LOVE the list. I am so guilty of the blogging vortex (see — I am at work right now and commenting on a non-work related blog!!!)

Eye-makeup…I am a CHAMP. Email me and let me know what your issue is and what color your eyes are. I am do liquid eyeliner without a q-tip…hello, skills!

9 Southern Gal January 11, 2010 at 9:16 am

“I am embarrassed to admit that there have been too many times when my online life has gotten in the way of my real-line life.”
I am embarassed to say I’m right there with you. That’s the only thing I’ve tried to commit to so far this year. Don’t even get me started on the weight loss thing…
Southern Gal´s last blog ..Encouragement My ComLuv Profile

10 heidi @ wonder woman wannabe January 11, 2010 at 9:17 am

Most of my goals are the same – I constantly re-evaluate balance in my life, and that includes the time I spend on the computer as well. Good for you for putting your priorities in line! ;)

My focus goal is losing some weight too.

heidi @ wonder woman wannabe´s last blog ..Monday Musings :: on laughter My ComLuv Profile

11 TidyMom January 11, 2010 at 9:25 am

That blogging vortex has REALLY been sucking me in lately!! ….not sure how to handle it – I LOVE reading blogs, that’s WHY I blog, and I get inspiration and ideas from reading other blogs…but it takes up SO much of my time and before I know it, several hours have passed and I haven’t done a things with my blog, my pictures, my house………ahhhh

Edie of Life in Grace did a great post about eyemakeup for 40 year olds!! I’ve bookmarked it! – Like you, I’m no good at it! – she even has a video! http://lifeongrace.blogspot.com/2009/10/must-have-makeup-tips-oh-to-be-25-again.html

~TidyMom

12 Musings of a Housewife January 11, 2010 at 9:27 am

I’ve been doing #4 and it really is a blessing.

As far as eye makeup. I have a video on it! LOL!! It’s on Chic Critique somewhere. In fact, there may be several helpful posts on there. There is a category for eyes.

Can’t wait to see you!!!!
Musings of a Housewife´s last blog ..Advice for Making the Most of Blissdom My ComLuv Profile

13 Erin @ Fierce Beagle January 11, 2010 at 9:27 am

Oh! Makeup! Fun!

On you tube, I watch emilynoel83 and xteeener for really cool makeup how-to videos. xteener is literally an arty teenager, and emilynoel83 is a newscaster in southern Illinois. Love those girls.

14 Stephanie @ Geezees January 11, 2010 at 9:28 am

I have to lose some weight too…and spend more time with my hubby!
Stephanie @ Geezees´s last blog ..Kids photos on canvas, and The "B" Word …. kids are too funny My ComLuv Profile

15 Melonie January 11, 2010 at 9:32 am

If you have a M.A.C. place in your mall they sell the best eye makeup and they are really good at actually showing you have to put the makeup on. The best part of all is that they give you a look with instructions on how to place it on and what it looks like for later.
Melonie´s last blog ..Winter Chill My ComLuv Profile

16 Sarah January 11, 2010 at 9:32 am

Great resolutions! I finally learned to put on eye makeup last year by watching Lauren’s tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/panacea81

Easy, simple, pretty, and fast! Lauren makes it easy and she’s really approachable.

Happy New Year,

Sarah :)

17 Caren January 11, 2010 at 9:32 am

Hi Kimba!

Those seem like excellent (mostly) achievable resolutions. Good for you, there’s nothing wrong with taking your time making them, you’ve got all year… right?

I am not a make-up blogger, I am however a former make-up artist for Clinique, I used to work at Macy’s and was in charge of all the bridal make-overs, I never thought of doing a tutorial on how to put on eye shadow but you’ve got me thinking that might not be such a bad idea, of course I’d have to enlist The Husband’s help with photographs and I can’t imagine he’d be too thrilled about that. He’d do it of course…hmmmmm, you’ve got me thinking.

All that being said, if you want to learn, go to your local Clinique counter and make an appointment with a consultant who will teach this to you. It’s free. It’s nice of course if you buy some of the products she shows you but not necessary and you could probably put together a whole new eye makeup look for around $50 or less (bring your own mascara because most Clinique counters won’t sample mascara) I suggest Clinique because I know they have lower prices than most other department store make-up counters and they tend to have a more natural look which I think is probably more your style but any make-up counter will probably do this for you.

That, or let me know and I’ll tell the husband to bust out the camera and pretend we’re doing a “Glamour” magazine shoot! Have a great day!

18 Kimberly January 11, 2010 at 9:46 am

Hi Kimba!

I learned a lot from Rebecca using this tutorial:
It REALLY helped to watch, instead of just looking at pictures. Good luck!

Kimberly
Kimberly´s last blog ..10{365} My ComLuv Profile

19 Holly January 11, 2010 at 9:49 am

Ha, ha, to the eye makeup. I’m in the same boat sister! If you find a good site let me know. Great resolutions! You can do it!

20 Gina January 11, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’m totally with you on numbers 3 and 4! And maybe we could all take makeup lessons together? I know most of the time I’m grateful for my glasses that sort of conceal my eyeshadow attempts. :)
Gina´s last blog ..This is why…. My ComLuv Profile

21 Becky January 11, 2010 at 10:16 am

All your resolutions would work for me. Except that I have never owned eye shadow.

Instead of resolutions I do a Word of the Year. This is my 7th year.. This year it is TRUST. God always teaches me so much. Last year was SIMPLIFY. And in December we downsized from a 4 bedroom 3,000 sq foot house to a 1300 sq foot rented townhouse in another state. It wasn’t exactly simple. But I learned to simplify my needs for sure.

Have a great 2010 Kimba! I love being here at your blog!
Becky´s last blog ..Remembories of Cold … My ComLuv Profile

22 Heather January 11, 2010 at 10:23 am

I love all of your resolutions! I’m with you on the makeup thing :) I’ve often gone to the M.A.C. counter for help and they are really good. Also, I like Makeupgeek.com for some great tutorials. She does lots of looks that the stars are currently wearing. Often, I’ll just type something like “eye makeup” into YouTube and you come up with lots of stuff. Good luck!

23 KS January 11, 2010 at 10:45 am

Hi, Kimba. I recommend checking out one of Bobbi Brown’s makeup books from your local library. Also, beauty blogger Nadine Haobsh has a “how to” section on her blog at jolienyc.com. Good luck!

24 Renee January 11, 2010 at 11:01 am

There are a lot of good makeup how-to videos on YouTube. Many of them are 16 year old girls, but they have some good hair and makeup tips! :)

25 Tiffany January 11, 2010 at 11:04 am
26 Aurora January 11, 2010 at 11:11 am

You just have to watch Michelle Phan’s Smoky Eye Tutorial– I love it! And the music is dreamy and cool, too. Watch it. Seriously. You will love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCnJ8B0Ay14

27 shana January 11, 2010 at 11:28 am

ok, i’m a little freaked out right now. i’m not a big new year’s resolution maker (the only one i made was to drink only water and milk in effort to lose a little weight without having to exercise more or not eat what i want . . . i’m trying to find the easy way to drop 15 pounds or so!) but if i was a resolution maker those might be my exact resolutions. holy cow! anyhow, just had to say “great resolutions, thanks for the inspiration” hope all goes well!
blessings,
shana
shana´s last blog ..multitude monday My ComLuv Profile

28 Candy January 11, 2010 at 11:34 am

My favorite makeup blogger is http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/. I love her cheapie tips & since she’s in her 30s, I don’t feel like I’m taking advice from an infant either. :-)
Candy´s last blog ..I guess I’m out – or am I? My ComLuv Profile

29 Ashley January 11, 2010 at 11:55 am

I don’t know any makeup blogs but if you know someone who sells marykay or something they can help you. I don’t know how to either and my cousin who sells it showed me and they sell this awesome liquid eye shadow stuff that looks so natural and awesome and really easy to put on.

Hope that helps

30 Heather January 11, 2010 at 11:59 am

MAKE-UP – search for Kandee Johnson on youtube she is amazing!!
Heather´s last blog ..Cupcake Binder Re-Vamp My ComLuv Profile

31 Kara January 11, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I need to work on all of these goals! I thought I was the only one who can’t do eye shadow without looking like a freak. If you find a great make-up blog, let me know! ;)
Kara´s last blog ..I Just Gotta Make This!–Denim Flower Pin My ComLuv Profile

32 Wendy @ The Shabby Nest January 11, 2010 at 12:20 pm

My personal favorite part of this post….”facespace” and “mybook”. But seriously, I agree with the fact that not being careful with your online time can lead to neglecting real-life responsibilities. That is one of my priorities as well…keeping my real-life as the most important part of my life. :-) More power to you, girl!!

33 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 11, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I like your goal of keeping online time reasonable. I do know that I need to be more conscious of this as well. Like you I’ll jump on “just to check”, and an hour could go by. Not good for the cleanliness of my house, especially since I work outside the home {in addition to my business}, so I should really be concentrating more on the house.

I’m no good at eye make-up either {well, any make-up really}. When I had my picture done for my business {it’s my blog pic, too} I went to a photographer that did hair and make-up for you.

34 Julie January 11, 2010 at 1:19 pm

So glad to see that someone else is making their resolutions a little late. Mine are still in my head and I need to take the time to thoughtfully write them out… You did a very good job by the way. However, the 5:16 club is a bit over rated. I got up for a bit at 5 AM so I could be out walking with friends… I never got used to it and sometimes found myself taking a nap while the kids would ready themselves for school (kidding of course… I would wait until they left ;) ! Sleep is important especially if you’re serious about #1. In regards to make-up: If you have a MAC store near you they do a great job helping select just the right colors. Good Luck to you and I will try to get my “Goals” out by the end of the week!
Julie´s last blog ..Color of Sweetness! My ComLuv Profile

35 Paula Grace January 11, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Hi Kimba!
New Year resolutions. Hmmm…. I am reading ‘The Secret’ so I resolve to have more positive thinking. Another is to do yoga ~ I keep hearing about the benefits. I also want to teach a class this year ~ get back to my roots. And lastly, be more helpful. I, like you, waat to start helping more with my blog. Today I introduced a new series Monday’s Method. Its basically interior design advice with love from me to my readers. Check it out. I’d love to hear what you think ~ http://paulagracedesigns.blogspot.com/2010/01/mondays-method.html.
Paula Grace :)

36 sandy January 11, 2010 at 1:41 pm

HI Kimba. One of my goals this year was to stick with my plan of spending time with God before touching my computer. It is working so far … but it’s only been 11 days LOL. I also cut out all the cookies and chocolate last week – just had to! And I wasn’t even going to BlissDom when I decided that! LOL. I feel so much better. OK, this is long, but your list is great and I love your realness GF! Can’t wait to give you a hug — I wonder how much we will all sleep? :)
sandy´s last blog ..Kid Memory Binders: Organized and Easy! My ComLuv Profile

37 Bev January 11, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I went to Sephora when they were having a makeup day, had them show me how, and bought every single thing they suggested. I’m still with it 9 months later and look like I have eyes. I was doing all of it completely, completely wrong – no surprise to me!

38 Astrid January 11, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Make-up? What’s that?

LOL! I’m so totally clueless when it comes to that. I’m also pushing 40. Sigh.

I do love getting up before the kids get up. I get up at 5:30. My girls wake up around 6:50- so I get to have a little bit of me time.

I really need to get out of the internet vortex! I’ve been sucked in by lots of great ideas. BUT it’s hard to get any of those great ideas done if you’re on the computer all the time!
Astrid´s last blog ..Bee, B-E-E, Bee My ComLuv Profile

39 Carmen January 11, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I need to make a resolution to manage my time more wisely. And to be more organized. I have to not resolved to do any of this. I just keep talking about it. haha

Re; the makeup issue…I just bought a set of Almay eye makeup and it tells you right on the back how to put it on with pictures and everything. I really like it. You could try that. :)

Carmen´s last blog ..*Winter Wreath and Decor* My ComLuv Profile

40 Amanda @ Serenity Now January 11, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Can I just copy and paste your resolutions and add them to my goals list? ;)

I’ll echo Bev with the Sephora suggestion. They’re supposed to be amazing. My local mall will be getting one this Spring and I can’t wait. I am awful at eye shadow too. I want to learn how to apply it without looking like I’m auditioning for a role on Saturday Night Fever….
Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..DIY: Winter Snowflake Banner My ComLuv Profile

41 Tanya January 11, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Hey Kimba!

Enjoyed your post! I wanted to give you a tip about your eye makeup dilemma. I got married last august, and I have never enjoyed what makeup artists do to my face whenever I have had it professionally done. SO, instead of getting my makeup done for my big day, I went to a local makeup artist and got a “make up lesson.” It cost about the same as her doing it for me, but it was SO informative! I brought in all of my own makeup and she went through it, pulled out colors she thought would look best on me, contrasted day wear, evening wear, consulted on my brushes, etc. AND THEN, finished the whole lesson off with a step-by-step (even wrote it out) make up application lesson, so that I could go home and recreate the fab look myself. Honestly, I will do it again, and I told her, that it is something I would consider doing yearly, just to stay fresh with the trends and make sure I haven’t accumulated something that dates my look!

Just a suggestion, but I think it’s a worth while investment! :)

42 megan @ white flower farmhouse January 11, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Me! Me! Me! I know the answer!

I think someone already mentioned this, but she really is THE definitive answer — Lauren Luke (aka panacea on youtube). She is in-cred-ible! Seriously! She started out a while ago just making these funny little videos in her apartment. She had a dog that you could always hear snoring away in the background! Hysterical!

Check her out: http://www.bylaurenluke.com

43 megan @ white flower farmhouse January 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm

hey — that’s not me, megan, in the photo! that’s lori! oops!

44 Jennifer Allwood January 11, 2010 at 6:27 pm

You can look at Stories from A to Z’s blog today for makeup or Life in Grace had a great post on makeup a few months ago. Do you have a MAC makeup place close to you??? They’ll do your makeup for FREE!!!!! Worth the time!!!!

My resolutions for 2010…..worry less. Get out of debt. Run more miles than I did last year. Look at blogs LESS (seriously… it’s a time stealer for me).

2010…. it’s the year of RECOVERY!!!!

Bless you!
Jennifer Allwood´s last blog ..Bubbly Crystal Knobby Thingy – my new love My ComLuv Profile

45 Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam January 11, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Oh my word….I’m rooming with you. I will SO do your eye makeup. :) I used to do it for years…just one of those things I never blogged about but I do feel a blog post coming up along with my “ways to save money on hair” post. :)
Seriously, don’t lose the ten pounds because I gained ten…we can be ten pounders together.
As for the 5:17 wagon, not getting back on that one, but the heart of the idea…I’m there with you.
Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam´s last blog ..Care Packages for the Homeless My ComLuv Profile

46 Melanie January 11, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I think that those are some wonderful goals to have. I have been guilty of wasting way more time online than I care to admit. I love the internet and all the friends that I have made but it can take over my life. Good luck and I will be trying too.
Melanie´s last blog ..Showtime..oh no, I mean SNOW time ! My ComLuv Profile

47 Allie January 11, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I love resolutions, but my list is too long to list here. If you would like stop by http://galations52223.blogspot.com/2010/01/2010-so-weird.html. And sorry no makeup tips here. If you figure it out, please blog about it! I would love to know too!

48 Deidre January 11, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Love all your resolutions, but #4 hits home most for me. I need to find that time early in the morning and get the day started off right. I also have prayed the I would be more kind to everyone, especially my kids.

49 Becky January 11, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Great goals. Watch a few episodes of What Not to Wear to learn about the eye makeup–it totally helped me :) !
Becky´s last blog ..Wooly Heart Tutorial My ComLuv Profile