A Winter Wreath

by Kimba on January 13, 2010

in Seasonal Projects

DIY Day is still going strong! Scroll down or click here to see over 300 (!) projects! And link up your own for a shot at this weeks prize from YouCanMakeThis.com.

front door winter wreath after christmas

After I took down my huge Christmas wreath, my front door looked totally nekked. And since I didn’t want to offend my neighbors with a nekked door, I set about to make a post-christmas-still-winter-not-yet-spring-wreath.

Fake pine and pine cones are wintery enough. And the big “R” works ’cause my last name is Rumplestiltskin (totally had to google that), you know.

That huge, fluffy wreath started as a typical scrawny pine wreath. I found a couple of scrawny pine garlands on clearance and wrapped them around the outside and the inside of my scrawny wreath to make it big and fluffy. Just twist branches from the garland around branches from the wreath and it will hold.

While I was searching for inspiration for this wreath, I came across all sorts of wintery goodness.

winter wedding wreath

Check out this gorgeous Winter Wedding Wreath @ The Brides Cafe. She wrote a great tutorial showing how to create the whole thing including those beautiful white felt flowers. You could lose the bride and groom and add a winter bird or a little tree.

fluffy felt wreath

I love this Fluffy Felt Wreath from Domestifluff. Kristen wrote a wonderful tutorial showing you how to create this fluffy felt masterpiece. You could use any color felt for any season.

winter wreath

I wish I had seen this gorgeous winter wreath @ StoneGable before I made mine. I would have copied her in a second. It’s perfect and her post shows you exactly how she made it!

icy winter wreath

This icy winter wreath from Grace Violet is a fun and easy way to hide your nekked door until we get a thaw. Bonus? It’s weatherproof!

Now, fess up! Is your Christmas wreath still up? Is your door nudie-tudie?

1 Yvonne@StoneGable January 13, 2010 at 11:24 am

Hi Kimba- Thank you so much for including me in your wreath post! I am so tickled!
You have some lovely choices to get the creative ideas flowing!
Love your blog!
Yvonne

2 pk @ Room Remix January 13, 2010 at 11:27 am

Your wreath looks great! Perfect solution. Even though I’ve taken all of my Christmas stuff down, for some reason the wreath remains on the door. Great reminder that I need to take care of that! :-) Love the felt wreath too – adorable.
pk @ Room Remix´s last blog ..Layering Rugs My ComLuv Profile

3 Mrs. Jen B January 13, 2010 at 11:35 am

I am still so proud of my homemade Christmas ornament wreath that it is still hanging on my door. Because I’m proud of it.

Ok, even though I tried to make it sound like that’s the reason it’s there, the real reason is because I’m lazy and it’s pretty. There. I said it.
Mrs. Jen B´s last blog ..Bolognese My ComLuv Profile

4 Erin D January 13, 2010 at 11:47 am

I love the wreaths! (that sounds funny pluralized) Monograms are still my favorite and always seem to be in style.

5 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 13, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I love all the wreaths, but that white wedding wreath is my favorite! My door is nude, at the moment, but I hope to have that taken care of shortly. I just ordered a red burlap wreath from Kate over at The Gaines Gang ~ lovely. I believe I will be stealing your initial idea and getting a “P’, painting it red and adding that to my new wreath {which is perfect for Valentine’s Day, I might add}.

6 Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage January 13, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I am “wreathing” it today too!! I like yours! And the others you found!
Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage´s last blog ..Sheet Music Wreath — my way My ComLuv Profile

7 Annie January 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm

LOVE this post! Made me think of my own front door and my refusal to take down my “Christmas” wreath. I say “Christmas” ‘cuz it was more or less decorated to be wintery more than Christmas-y. Just posted about it on my blog… :)

8 Annie January 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm

My blog added to my name just in case… ;0)
Annie´s last blog ..Our Door & Other Stuff My ComLuv Profile

9 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage January 13, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Oh no! My door’s all nekked and stuff! Actually, it’s really hard to see anything on the door itself, due to the AWESOME screen door that DH built (I think you’ve seen it before). And I’m skeered to put anything on it because it might be overkill.

The back door, however…. it probably needs a fashion consultant!
Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage´s last blog ..Christmas clearance My ComLuv Profile

10 TidyMom January 13, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Funny you posted this…………today is the first day since NYE that’s been above freezing and I quickly went out and took the lights and garland off our porch, but left my Christmas wreath up……I told my daughter is was better than a naked door…………until I find something else! LOL
TidyMom´s last blog ..Decorating Dilemma Help Needed! My ComLuv Profile

11 Amy January 13, 2010 at 4:21 pm

You ALWAYS have the best wreath ideas!! I can’t wait to gab with you in person. I will be the one wearing a purple flower pin :)
Amy´s last blog ..Amy’s Notebook 01.13.10 My ComLuv Profile

12 Diane at InMyOwnStyle January 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm

What a timely post. Every year when I take down my Christmas wreath, I am always at a loss as to what to put in it’s place. I have done many things, but the letter wreath is just my style. I just love it. Thanks fo rthe inspiration.

13 Jennifer January 13, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I must confess, I’m a door abuser. My Christmas wreath is still up. But, your post has motivated me to find something with a couple of red cardinals on it – something wintry and sweet. Great post and great wreaths!

14 nell ann January 13, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I am admitting here and now that I never actually put up my Christmas wreath. I had every intention of redoing it, but that just never happened. When Christmas Day passed, I made a new wintery wreath instead. I have our front door — so there’s no way I was going to leave it naked!!

Thanks for rounding up such a fun collection of wreaths. I think I might make another. : )

15 Kendall January 13, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I love your wreath! I just happen to have a big W, which stands for Whataburger (I’m, like, a gazillionaire! Ha!), so I may just have to copy you! My door is “nekked” right now. For shame, for shame…
Kendall´s last blog ..Decorating Dilemnas Party – My Master Bedroom My ComLuv Profile

16 angela | the painted house January 13, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Sometimes my kids are Grumplestiltskins.

Love the big R, Kimba.

(the painted house is coming back this year…yippee!)

17 Becky January 13, 2010 at 11:38 pm

My Christmas wreath just came down yesterday (and is not sitting in my entry). i bought some blue and white berries to make a winter wreath–hasn’t happened yet. I am hosting my first linky party–inspired by yours. I would love if you would join us.
Becky´s last blog ..My First Linky Party–Please Join Me! My ComLuv Profile

18 abigail January 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I made this wreath last year, and used it again this year.
abigail´s last blog ..repair work My ComLuv Profile

19 Holly January 14, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Heh, heh. Nekked. Nudie Tudie. Too cute!
Yes, my Christmas wreath is still up. One of these days I’ll get a chance to change things around. Not take it down all together, but just make it a little less Christmas, and a little more winter!
Holly´s last blog ..Yes, even sugar can be stylish! My ComLuv Profile

20 Southern Fried Gal January 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Great ideas – you know I’m a door decor junkie! I need to post my latest acquisition…
Southern Fried Gal´s last blog ..Southern Fried Fave Finds 2009 My ComLuv Profile

21 Chrissy @ Home.Kids.Life January 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Great wreaths! The one my daughter and I made is still up, minus one snowflake that blew away in a wind storm. Maybe when we venture out to look for the snowflake, I’ll take it down. Or maybe not. http://homekidslife.blogspot.com/2009/12/rustic-and-natural-christmas-decor.html
Chrissy @ Home.Kids.Life´s last blog ..Frozen Balls of Dough My ComLuv Profile

22 jenjen January 15, 2010 at 12:03 am

That is a cute wreath Kimba! I like the initial too! I have my burlap one on the door right now. I hope it survives the weather!

XOOX
Jen
jenjen´s last blog ..Another Family Rules Canvas My ComLuv Profile

23 Melanie January 15, 2010 at 8:36 am

My Christmas wreath is not up because I didn’t decorate this year:( We had just moved 800 miles from home and I was busy trying to get our home in order. I do have a fall wreath up but it still looks a little bare because we don’t have anything else yet on our front porch.
Melanie´s last blog ..Making it Through the Winter. My ComLuv Profile