Quick and Easy Christmas Centerpieces

by Kimba on December 23, 2009

in Seasonal Projects

christmas centerpiece pine cones mason jars

Are you hosting a get-together at your home over the next couple of weeks? Do you have something pretty for your table? Probably not, because you’ve been too busy cleaning, baking, shopping, wrapping, caroling, jingle-belling and all things Christmas-ing.

Fear not! I have two quick ideas that will make your table (island, sideboard or changing table) festive on no time.

I call this one the “Cake Stand-Platter-Mason Jar Delight”.

cake plate and tray

Take the cake stand that never has a cake standing on it and put it on a platter or plate.

cake stand with greenery and pinecones

Add some greenery and pine cones on the plate.

mason jars on cake stand

Fill a few mason jars about 1/4 full with fake snow (AKA Epsom salts) and tuck in a tealight or votive candle. Epsom salt makes perfect fake, glittery snow and you can buy it anywhere. I learned this trick from my friend Melissa at The Inspired Room. She’s smart and stuff.

christmas centerpiece cake stand mason jars

A little more greenery on the top and you’re done! A note on the greenery: Use what you have! Cut a few branches from your yard or the neighbors yard. Use the fake stuff. Whatever! I bought a $5.00 bundle of fresh greens from Sam’s Club.

christmas centerpiece candles greenery

This second one is really complicated. I call it “Branches and Candles on Tray”. How did I do it? I put branches and candles on a tray. Done.

Don’t have a tray? You could build this one directly on the table. Just put a piece of fabric or kraft paper underneath it to keep it from scratching the table.

Are you hosting anything at your house in the next couple weeks?

1 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage December 23, 2009 at 9:17 am

Ohhh the last one is my favorite – but of course, it’s the easiest! We’re hosting our friends over on Saturday. A big pot of loaded potato soup, lots of movie watching and these would be a perfect & easy way to dress up the table.

Thanks for the great idea!

Merry Christmas!

2 randee December 23, 2009 at 9:41 am

yes, we’re having our 4 children, their spouses & our 4 grandchildren over for Christmas Eve. we do the same menu every year. tenderloin & brie on french bread, beef meatballs in sweet & sour, turkey meatballs in sweet & sour, beef meatballs in swedish sauce, turkey meatballs in swedish sauce, chicken wings, veggie tray, fruit tray, cheeses & crackers, cookies & candy & whatever the kids bring. i think i live for these times :)

those arrangements are so sweet & simple. i love anything on a cake stand.

did you get your gfs cookies?

merry christmas, kimba.

praying for peace -

3 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions December 23, 2009 at 12:10 pm

That’s very pretty and a great idea, Kimba! Except that this year I bought a cake stand and I intend to use it ~ for dessert of some kind.

4 Gina December 23, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Great ideas! I’ve been stumped for my table, love the simplicity of yours. Thanks for sharing!

Merry Christmas!

5 Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch December 23, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Wow! These look great. I have all of that stuff too…so sad we are going to someone else’s house for all of the festivities. I just may have to set it up for myself when we get back in town. :)

6 megan @ white flower farmhouse December 23, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Hi Kimba,

Love, love, love these both! Totally my kind of simple, rustic style.

Best wishes for a very happy and healthy holiday!
Megan

7 Stephanie December 23, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I LOVE both of these! They are perfect and right up my alley!! Thanks so much for sharing – Hoping you have a wonderful hoilday!

8 Beth December 23, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Kimba, these are beautiful!! Thanks for the ideas. I will def use them sometime :)

9 Angie December 23, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Kimba, I LOVE them both especially the first one!! I already have my Christmas centerpiece but I will use this idea in the future!! Thanks and I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!
Angie

10 Lou Cinda December 23, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Kimba: I have the mason jars with epsom salt snow and candles on my front porch! So pretty at night!

Lou Cinda

11 Bekki December 23, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Great minds think alike. :) Check out my DIY day project. It’s my coffee table sisplay, mason jars, “Snow”, grenery, candles, and a basket. I love how it looks with the cake stand. I must find some while out thristing this year!

12 Mom in High Heels December 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Oh, Kimba, I adore you and your oh, so fancy and complicated center pieces. Excellent ideas!

13 Sandra December 23, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Great idea…I have the same milk glass cake stand and lots of jars to use…so simple and sweet.

14 Shanade @ Home Sweet Home December 23, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Oh I love those! I want to try that at home. Thanks for sharing.

15 The Cottage Mama December 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm

What a beautiful and simple centerpiece – I love the simplicity of the jars. Merry Christmas to you!

16 Raise Them Up December 24, 2009 at 12:08 am

Very, very pretty! I love the easy part too! Even I could arrange this. :)

17 Heathahlee December 25, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Epsom salts are my new best friend. I wrote about how I used them this year here. And I hope that link shows up without all that html stuff. : )

18 Heathahlee December 25, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Yay! It did! :D

19 Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam December 26, 2009 at 9:58 am

Oh my friend – I hadn’t even read this post and literally five minutes before my guests were coming I had my son out cutting holly and stacking plates (with candles) but no Epsom salts. :)
Hope you had a precious, blessed day….
now our count down begins. :)

20 Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates December 27, 2009 at 2:48 am

Well I saw this too late for Christmas though we usually need all the room on the table for food – LOL! But I love this idea to have on my table for the rest of Winter after Christmas decorations are taken down!