Being Really Real

by Kimba on December 21, 2009

in Faith and Family,Sanctuary at Home

christmas tree

Random pretty picture because I can’t stand
starting a post without a picture.

This is a re-post from 368 days ago. There isn’t any Christmas yakk on my chandelier and I made the paper chains using staples this year, but the sentiment remains the same. It seemed appropriate to share this again today.

Today’s post is all about being real. With all of you and with myself. I love blogging. I love sharing my life and my home with you, my dear friends…And getting to know you through a glimpse into your lives. But it’s just that. A glimpse.

As much as I love blogging, I think it has one major danger (aside from being the cause of hungry children with no clean clothes). The danger is that we begin to think that everyone else is doing “it” better than we are. “It” is whatever we’re struggling with. Everyone else has better behaved children, is a sweeter, gentler mother and wife, is a better housekeeper, decorator, whatever.

It’s the power of the edit and the zoom lens.

So in the interest of encouraging you before we all spin off into the business of celebrating Christmas, I’m going to get real.

kids waiting in front of oven

Do you remember these adorable children who were sweetly waiting for their blueberry muffins? As I am writing this post, the older one is enjoying some time alone in his room because he SCREAMED at his younger brother and shoved him off the couch. But don’t you go feeling sorry for that baby boy. He spent some time in the naughty chair earlier today for clonking his big brother on the head with Thomas the Train.

paper chains

And these beautiful scrapbook paper chains that you all raved about? The scrapbook tape that we used isn’t holding. Every few minutes, I hear a flick and a shuffle as a loop pops open and part of the chain falls to the ground. Repairs will be made with staples.

paper chains on floor

Allow me to share my dining room. It has looked like this for a month. Actually, this is pretty good. I cleaned up for an hour last night. The dining room becomes my dumping ground for all my projects. At Christmas, that gets a little out of control.

christmas mess in the dining room

And that Christmas yakk on the chandelier? My failed attempt at creating something beautiful. It’s OK. I know it’s a hideous mess. And I have no intention on trying to fix it. I am done. No more decorating. I’ve got plastic bins that haven’t been opened and another tree that will have to stay in it’s box until next year. I’ll enjoy what is done and that’s that.

And in case you think I’m all sweetness and light…let me assure you that Monster Mommy has been hanging out at our house a little too much lately. And what’s worse is that Witchy Wifey usually travels with Monster Mommy. Let this be a pledge to my dear family that I will banish that evil duo.

So, on the off chance you thought that I had it all together, I hope this is an encouragement to you. We’re all just doing the best we can. Some days are better than others and I pray that my Lord will cover my failings.

~~~~~~~~~~

In case you were wondering, DIY Day will start tonight as usual (10 pm eastern time). I may not get around to a recap but please share any projects you’ve done recently!

1 shana December 21, 2009 at 9:38 am

Thanks! Have a great Christmas!
Blessings,
Shana

2 Leigh Ann December 21, 2009 at 9:42 am

Thanks for keeping it real and sharing your heart.
Have a wonderful Christmas season.
Blessings~
Leigh Ann

3 Mandy December 21, 2009 at 9:45 am

This is all too familiar – we have twin toddlers at home and as much as I try to make my blog look great, there is a lot to be said for keeping it real. Thanks for sharing your real moments…I can definitely relate!

4 Deborah December 21, 2009 at 9:45 am

Dear Kimba,

This is the best Christmas post I have read. Thank you.
As I type this, my plans to get my Christmas Tree this past weekend were thwarted by the blizzard.

Merry Christmas.

5 Deidre December 21, 2009 at 9:47 am

Kimba, thanks for keeping it real. Both monsters have taken up residence at my house also. I’m hoping to banish them as well. Be blessed and have a wonderful, Christ-filled Christmas with your family!!!

6 Marie December 21, 2009 at 9:49 am

Too right about the zoom lens, people seeing my laundry room today would call the health dept. Sigh,
Thanks for the perspective.

7 m December 21, 2009 at 9:51 am

LOVE this! That table is tame compared to mine! One day I will figure out how to make Christmas less stressful & more memorable…just haven’t gotten there yet!
MERRY CHRISTmas!

m ^..^

8 Heather December 21, 2009 at 9:53 am

Great post, Kimba. I get lost in blogland looking at all your projects and how talented you all are but just find there aren’t enough hours in a day to do everything like it seems you all do. All you can do is try, right! Thanks for being real.

9 Brooke December 21, 2009 at 9:54 am

Kimba, I really appreciate that transparency. As a new blogger, I feel a total pressure to come up with new crafts while working full time, trying to pull all my home things together, etc. There is such a temptation to appear you always have things perfectly crafted and nice. You want everyone well behaved and putting on a good front. My husband feels like we should always be ‘real’…I think if we all had that attitude we would feel a lot less pressure as women. But it’s so hard…because then people see that I am a HOT MESS :)
Lucky for us, we can trust that God will guide us through the mess.
Thanks for the post!

10 Sabrina December 21, 2009 at 10:03 am

This is probably one of the MOST inspiring posts I’ve read in a while. A post that lets us ALL know that no one is perfect…and that’s totally ok.

I too scan my Reader with craft and house envy daily, but fail to realize that pictures can be cropped. The camera only sees one side of a room sometimes. And your dining room table?? Well, I have multiple rooms like that during the holidays. Tee hee. :)

Thanks for sharing and have a blessed holiday!

11 Gail December 21, 2009 at 10:07 am

Love, Love, Love this post! I do beleive in everything you have said. Thanks for sharing and making blogland seem real. Have a blessed Christmas and Happy New Year.

Gail

12 Janessa December 21, 2009 at 10:12 am

Kimba thanks for the post! It helps to see and to remind ourselves that we are all just trying to do the best we can. Personally, the last two days I have been wondering how in the world I am going to make it through this 2 week break with how my boys have been acting!! I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas!!

13 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage December 21, 2009 at 10:21 am

AMEN! Sing it, sister! I’m working on a post now that is SO simliar in feeling to this one, but it’s not holiday themed.

Thanks SO MUCH for keeping it real! See ya later tonight!

14 your cool friend Cheryl December 21, 2009 at 10:40 am

Oh, how true this is! I move messes to take pictures and tell my boys “just a minute” while I finish something on the computer. Perhaps this is the beginning of a New Year’s resolution.

and ps. my dining room table looks exactly the same!!

15 Richella December 21, 2009 at 10:41 am

I remember this post from last year, Kimba. I had just started reading blogs–mostly I was just reading yours and Nester’s. And this is the one that sold me on you. You do seem to have it all together–and your house always seems so neat, your children so well-behaved, your projects flawless. And I think now just what I thought last year–that this post shows that you really DO have it all together–in your heart, where it counts. I’m glad the exteriors aren’t always picture-perfect; that way I can really relate to you. But I’m really, really glad that you have the heart to admit that you struggle. I so appreciate you!

16 Diana December 21, 2009 at 10:51 am

Girl, I’m right there with you. We dream of a Christmas season being like a Norman Rockwell painting and instead it ends up like a Clark W. Griswald “Christmas Vacation” movie!

17 Jeannette December 21, 2009 at 11:01 am

Gee, sounds like HOME to me. :)

18 Rubymama December 21, 2009 at 11:06 am

Kimba-Thanks for this. Made my day, made my week actually. I just finished posting a few days before on the same topic. Take a look at my pantry that is about to jump out and kill me! And my hutch that is supposed to display nice things in my kitchen? It looks like baby bottles took it hostage!

We must remember that our main priorities are first, and the house will catch up afterwards.

Rubymama :)

19 Tana Fisher December 21, 2009 at 11:17 am

I loved your post. Thank you for being real with us!:) Your blog & many others give me so much inspiration, and its good to know that everything is not as perfect as it may seem. You are right.. we can only do the best we can! Have a Merry Christmas!

20 Carli December 21, 2009 at 11:18 am

Great message! Thanks for being Real and sharing! Love the “Witchy Wifey” and “Monster Mommy”! and my dining room table has looked like that for the past week or two, but who’s counting?

21 Mendy December 21, 2009 at 11:53 am

I absolutely love your honesty. When my children were little I always tried to do too much and ended up being Monster Mommy. Wishing you a blessed Christmas!

22 Linda @Nina's Nest December 21, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Kimba, very well spoken! You have identified the danger of blogging – a semi-real picture. Thanks for your honesty – we all agree! Merry Christmas! Linda

23 Shannon December 21, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I love this post. I completely admire your honestly, and being “real” about what your home is really like. It is a good reminder that not matter how perfect somebody seems from the blog perspective, they are just like the rest of us. Now.. I am rethinking that Thomas The train set for Christmas…. (just kidding) In my house my kids will fight over a piece of trash.. in fact, I hear them right now.. Have a great day!

24 nocona December 21, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Love it! Thanks for sharing! I loved it!

25 Abbie December 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Yes, I have seen that downside to seeing all the great ideas in blogland – feeling like nothing I do is as good as what other people have done! And the monster mommy and witchy wifey have been around too much at our house too! But I’m working on it, by giving it to God! Don’t know what I’d do if it were totally up to me! Oh, and thanks for the intro to Legaci – I’m going to listen to them all day on youtube! Lol!

26 mypinkflipflops December 21, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Thanks, I needed that. :D
Merry Christmas!

27 Mom in High Heels December 21, 2009 at 12:43 pm

OMG, Kimba, I remember reading this post last year! It made me laugh then and it made me laugh today. I hope no one is getting banged on the head by Thomas today and I think you should have made the yak a Christmas tradition.

28 Kate at Centsational Girl December 21, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I completely identify ! Thanks for reposting, I missed this last year. In the spirit of “Keeping it Real” someone, anyone, should host a “Craft Fail” party where we all post our most hideous craft failure of 2009. How funny would that be to read about how we’re all so human and completely less than perfect ?

29 Lori December 21, 2009 at 1:49 pm

“And what’s worse is that Witchy Wifey usually travels with Monster Mommy. ” This made me giggle and I needed that. Thanks for being real!

30 Danielle @ Transforming Home December 21, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Love it, love it, love it. Perfect – in life’s imperfect way.

Danielle

31 Crystal December 21, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Thank you for this post today. It was for me. I so needed to hear this today. I do often get this feeling. I read all these blogs and view people with beautiful, perfect homes, lots of time for creative projects and baking and gentle mothering. I feel cluttered, behind, stressed and with never enough time in my days. As a mom who has to work outside of the home, not by choice, life gets harried. Not to mention, my hubby is a pastor…But our home is filled with the love and knowledge of Christ and each other and I only get upset when I compare my life/home to others. Our home is perfect for us and I am sure could always be better and more beautiful, But we make it work. My kids know they are loved and we love them with all we have to give.
Merry Christmas and thanks for the reminder today.

32 Debra December 21, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Yeah, I hear you….Thank you for bringing it to light! We put too much pressure on ourselves…especially at holiday time.

Reflect on what Christmas is and Have a Merry Christmas.

33 Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds December 21, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Thanks for sharing and being so genuine, Kimba!

34 Carmen December 21, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Thanks for this!!!! I think everyone needed to read this right about now. My dining room looks like that too except it’s cookie mess. hehe

35 Amanda December 21, 2009 at 5:21 pm

((hugs)) Thank you, I needed that!

36 Chrissy @ Home.Kids.Life December 21, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Thanks! I can get caught up in that “how do they do that” or “how does their home look like that.” I now do “reality checks” on my blog that show things prettied up (for about 30 seconds) and then how things really look on a day to day basis. I appreciate this post, it makes me feel like I’m not alone. Merry Christmas!

37 Molly December 21, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Amen sister!!

38 Amanda @ Serenity Now December 21, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Love you!!!! :) My dining room table looks the exact same way. :) I am in the middle of attempting to sew an apron (for the first time!!) as a Christmas gift as well as make two more gifts by Christmas. Stuff everywhere. And my girls were AWFUL this morning. I wanted to cry. So I told them I was calling Santa. It worked with the 4 year old…not so much with the toddler. :s

I have a DIY project for tonight, but only b/c I took pictures of something I made LAST year and saved it (didn’t blog back then). I sooooo do not have it together this year. :s

39 cristin @ simplified bee December 21, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I love your “real” post.

Merry Christmas,
cristin

40 EntertainingMom December 21, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I’m new to your blog — but off the bat I love that you are real! I too wonder about so many of the blogs I read. Are they really better, nicer, cleaner, richer, prettier, more together, more organized, etc… Doesn’t anyone else make mistakes?

I blog about my accomplishments all the time. I also have plenty of posts about my yelling at my kids, my messy house, my mistakes, and this summer I had a bunch of posts about needing to find my Big Girl Panties and getting a grip!

I much prefer to read blogs by people like myself, people who are perfectly imperfect!

I’ll be back by again to read some more!

Jessica

41 Jill December 21, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Kimba I love your post today. How comforting to know that you are just “real” like the rest of us. =)

42 Barbara Jean December 21, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Kimba
well said, and it applies to most of us I’m sure.

Blessings
barbara jean

43 Miss Mustard Seed December 21, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Funny stuff! I am the queen of the zoom lens to show the parts of my house that look the best. I have yet to show the mess that is usually in my family room from having 2 boys under the age of three. I also really need to run the carpet cleaner. My light beige carpet in the family room is looking like leopard print. You made some great points and it’s nice to get a dose of reality. See you at 10!

44 Beverly @ The Buzz December 21, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Thank you so much for this post. I really needed to read it. I’ve been feeling really badly that I only have–gasp–one tree in my house. When I see others who have one in every room, the negative voices begin their chorus. My home doesn’t look perfect and I’m not the best crafter/furniture redoer/decorator, but I have fun and that’s the important thing. Have a Merry Christmas!

45 Amy December 21, 2009 at 9:47 pm

I am so glad to not be the only one that feels like this. I just posted something similar last night. Check out my table… oh my, its waaaaay worse than yours, so don’t fret. LOL
Merry Christmas!
~Amy

46 Rhonda December 21, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I think we are all guilty of occasionally loving the attention that blogging brings us a little too much.
But, who doesnt’ like to be praised and receive lots of wonderful compliments??? It’s only human.

We all work hard to get where we are and to have what we have. But, stepping back and assessing the situation (hungry kids and messy houses) brings us back to our real lives.

Those of us who have been logging too many hours at the computer for our blogs sake, should follow your example and get really real too!
Thanks for the nudge.
But, I have to run, I still have to do this tutorial I promised on handmade Santa’s!!!!!!
I’m gettin’ real tomorrow, I promise!
Merry Christmas!
Rhonda

47 Laura H December 21, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Thank you for the post . So funny and so true.

48 Shilo December 22, 2009 at 2:54 am

Just as encouraging the second time around as the first. You are a blessing, Kimba!

49 Michelle December 22, 2009 at 8:28 am

Great post, I don’t blame you for sharing it again. I missed it the first time so that was great! It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking we’re lacking something. I’m crazy behind on my blogging, juggling holidays and other things is not my strong point. I just updated your new address in my list, phew. Have a wonderful holiday!
~Michelle

50 Sherry Ball Schoenfeldt December 22, 2009 at 8:55 am

I liked your post so much that I linked to it on my post this morning. (You can see it here ). I’ve always felt that being real is the best gift we can give those we love.

51 TidyMom December 22, 2009 at 11:30 am

Kimba I remember this post from last year and love it!!!!

It’s too easy for us all to get wrapped up in the beauty of all our favorite blog and think we are inferior!
I HAD to show my hubby your dining room picture- because he gets irritated with my “dumping grounds”…..yeah, that’s PLURAL! LOL

Merry Christmas Kimba!♥
~TidyMom

52 Rachel December 22, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Thanks for being honest and keeping it real.

Rachel

53 Helene December 24, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Love this post. Thanks for this peak at your imperfections! Now I can breathe a sigh of relief. Merry Christmas!

54 Sandy December 27, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Enjoy your little ones . . . You’ll miss them lots when they grow up. These are the best memories. Happy Holidays!

55 Adrianna December 27, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Thank you so much for eazing the stress I had been feeling for not posting lately. I felt like my posts may not have been good enough so I took a break. So refreshing to read this.