Make Your Home More Welcoming – Challenge #9

by Kimba on November 11, 2009

in Sanctuary at Home

lamp lamplight make your home more welcoming turn on lamps

Yes! We’re still doing this series. I just got a little sidetracked by my move to WordPress.

Today’s challenge is a simple one…Turn on some lamps. Even during the day. And turn OFF those overhead lights, whenever you can.

Your home will feel warmer and more welcoming. And you’ll look even prettier by lamplight. Thinner too!

Click here for the whole Make Your Home More Welcoming Series.

You can browse all of our challenges and join in any time. Just click here to see the whole series.

1 duchess November 11, 2009 at 7:20 am

So true. I drive my cave dwelling husband nuts turning on all the lamps. He just doesn’t get it.

2 Richella November 11, 2009 at 7:55 am

Yes, ma’am. Going to turn on lamps right now. And you are right: everyone and everything looks better by lamplight. I hadn’t really thought about how we look thinner, but I think you’re right about that, too. What a great idea for the holidays! :)

3 Astrid November 11, 2009 at 8:00 am

I definitely need to buy more lamps! I hate turning on the overhead glaring lights.

4 Christi {Jealous Hands} November 11, 2009 at 8:58 am

I’m loving this series – so many great {and easy} ideas!

5 Chris November 11, 2009 at 9:04 am

OKay. I just joined again. #100! Woo Hoo! Lamps…can’t go wrong with good lighting.

6 Marla @ Always Nesting November 11, 2009 at 9:54 am

Thinner??? I’ll do almost anything to look thinner :) I love lamps too and hate overhead lighting. There’s nothing worse than 6, 40 watt bulbs, overhead, shrieking at a naked 52 year old just out of the shower body. Yikes!

7 Gina November 11, 2009 at 9:58 am

Just as I started reading this I was telling my son to turn off the over head light he just turned on-too funny! I guess we’re like minded on that, I hate those overhead lights. Yep, lighting makes a big difference.

8 Marty November 11, 2009 at 10:26 am

Oh I do so agree. Every room looks so much more inviting with some soft light. Love this series. Hugs, Marty

9 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage November 11, 2009 at 10:36 am

I’m so loving this series! (I think I say that every post, sorry.)

Lamps are such a clever way to warm things up and make things softer. Great tip!

10 Pam @ Ramblings of a Happy Homemaker November 11, 2009 at 10:40 am

Will I continue to look thinner with each additional lamp I turn on? If that’s the case – my house is going to be a lamp lit version of a National Lampoon’s Christmas this year! LOL

11 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions November 11, 2009 at 10:51 am

I prefer lamps too. I like that we have overhead lights, but I rarely use them, except in the kitchen. I’m sometimes surprised when I walk into a client’s home and they have no lamps whatsoever.

12 Amy November 11, 2009 at 11:44 am

My hubby insists on turning on the overhead light and it drives me nuts! He turns in on, I turn it off. Same thing with my son. I make the kids open their blinds during the day instead of turning their lights on.

13 Carol from Indian Springs Village November 11, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I was late getting home Monday evening and low and behold, my husband had turned on lamps instead of the overheads! Maybe all these years of me doing it has sunk in. I just think there is something so nice about coming home to a house with the lamps glowing softly and the smell of supper cooking. One out of two isn’t bad…

14 Laryssa @ Heaven In The Home November 11, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I really hate how having just the overhead light on makes me feel. Yuk!

Kimba, we have the same lamp shade! ;-)

15 Kelly @ Dare to be Domestic November 11, 2009 at 9:52 pm

one of my best girlfriends swears by this – she HATES overhead light. When ever she comes to hang out I try to remember this and make lots of lovely lighting to make her happy!

16 Sherri S November 12, 2009 at 9:12 am

I LOVE lamp lighting. Although I will admit that I just recently began adding to the number of lamps in my home. Found of course, at a junk store! I now have 3 lamps in my living room and both my daughter and I have one each in our bedrooms. I want MORE. Slowly but surely I will have them. I want tiny ones for both bathrooms too. I LOVE turning on the lamps instead of the overhead!
And THINNER? seriously? What gal doesn’t love that ?!

17 living with lindsay November 14, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Okay, I always do this one. :) We have our lamps on all day long and never, ever turn on harsh overhead lighting. It makes the day much prettier!

18 sandy November 19, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Yes to lamps! We have a ton of them.
Re-followed. Sorry for the frustrations, friend!

19 Lisa December 4, 2009 at 9:53 am

Such a simple thing, but it makes a big difference! Also opening all the drapes, blinds, etc. helps a lot.

{ 1 trackback }