BBQ Brisket

by Kimba on November 23, 2009

in In the Kitchen

Post image for BBQ Brisket

Let’s talk brisket.

If you live south of the Mason Dixon Line, you just said “Mmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm” and you probably already pulled out your secret family recipe. If you live north of the Mason Dixon Line, you probably just said “What’s brisket?”

This post is for you Northerners who have yet to discover the tender, juicy glorious-ness that is the brisket. This recipe is so simple and it’s guaranteed to make your man love on you for at least a week.

brisket supplies bbq recipe

Here’s what you need: 4-5lb brisket (more on that in minute), celery salt, garlic salt, onion salt, regular salt (trust me, all this salt makes it good. Not salty), liquid smoke (you can find it with the bbq and hot sauces at the grocery), BBQ sauce.

A note about brisket: You do NOT want a corned beef brisket. It’s the same cut of meat, but it’s already been cured. Not good for this recipe. Even us northerners can usually find regular brisket in with the beef at the grocery store. WalMart usually carries it too.

2nd note about brisket: See all that fat on the bottom of the meat? Don’t even THINK about removing it. That fat = tenderness and flavor.

brisket seasonings

Measure out all of your seasonings and mix them together in a small bowl.

seasonings on brisket

Sprinkle your seasonings over the brisket. You don’t need to season the bottom (fatty side).

rub seasonings into brisket

I like to give the seasoned brisket a little rub to make sure all that seasoning gets into the meat.

spoon rubbing seasonings

If you’re opposed to rubbing the meat with your hands, you can use the back of a spoon for the same purpose.

liquid smoke on brisket

Sprinkle your liquid smoke all over the brisket.

covered brisket

Cover the brisket with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 8 hours. I like to do this at night before I go to bed and then cook it the next day.

brisket in oven

After the brisket has marinated for at least 8 hours, put it in a pan and stick that baby in the oven. Did I say put a lid on it? Well, put a lid on it. We’re going to cook this low and slow (275 degrees for 3-4 hours), so that it gets super tender.

bbq on brisket 2

Cover the cooked brisket with the BBQ sauce when there’s about 1/2 left to cook. Nothing special. Just smear it on there. The brisket is done when you stick a knife (or carving fork) into the thickest part of the meat and it goes in easily. If it’s still kind of hard to poke, then let it cook a little longer.

bbq brisket and mac and cheese

Remove the brisket from the saucy pan and slice it thinly, across the grain. That “across the grain” part is critical. That gets you super tender slices. If you don’t have an electric knife, ask for one for Christmas. It makes slicing meat like this (or a TURKEY, roast, ham or watermelon) soooo much easier. That link shows you the knife I have. I LOVE IT!

Disclosure: That link is also an affiliate link. If you happen to click on it and buy something, I make a few pennies.

You can drizzle a little of the pan juices over the sliced meat and serve with extra BBQ sauce. In my opinion, BBQ Brisket MUST be served with creamy macaroni and cheese. If you must have something green, then add some coleslaw. You won’t regret it.

Now let’s hear from all you brisket lovers! Tell me your secrets.

BBQ Brisket

4-5 lb beef brisket
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon salt
1.5 oz bottle of liquid smoke
BBQ sauce

1. Sprinkle seasonings over your brisket.
2. Pour liquid smoke over seasoned brisket.
3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours
4. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
5. Place brisket in covered pan and place in oven.
6. Cook for 3-4 hours or until fork tender.
7. Slice thinly, across the grain.

DIY Day will start tonight at 10pm! Be there!

1 Nikki November 23, 2009 at 8:03 am

Thanks for this post, Kimba! I have never been brave enough to try making brisket in my own oven… I am from Texas (but now live in OH) so the bar is set really high – but your recipe and directions make it sound achievable… Wish me luck :-)
Love your blog!
Nikki

2 Jessica Sparacio November 23, 2009 at 8:38 am

That looks so delicious. I love bbq sauce, so that would be a total hit for me. Hubby would love this. We have had beef brisket before but not with bbq sauce. I will have to give this a try.

3 susie harris November 23, 2009 at 8:58 am

My kids go crazy over that stuff..Really! I try and put one in the oven Saturday night and cook it on low till the morning. Sooooo good when you get home from church and have your dinner ready and waiting. I use everything you have listed here but the sauce. I will have to try it next time and see how it changes the flavor. I betcha it’s goooood! Thanks for sharing this. It’s time for a brisket at the Harris house…thanks Kimba!

4 Audra Lynn November 23, 2009 at 9:16 am

I must not have had enough for breakfast. You’ve got my tummy rumbling. I’m going to have to try out your recipe!

5 Richella November 23, 2009 at 9:20 am

We do love us some brisket down here. But you know what? I’m going to try your recipe. Mine uses many of the same ingredients as yours, but requires much, much more cooking time. . . so much, in fact, that I rarely go to all the trouble to make it. Thank you for posting a simpler recipe!

Now, if you want the best macaroni and cheese, I’ve got you covered. And if you want a cole slaw that’s a bit different from the standard mayo-based slaw, I’m your man. And a coconut meringue pie would be super for dessert after this meal. Hey! Let’s get together for dinner! You make the brisket, I’ll bring the rest. :)

6 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage November 23, 2009 at 9:44 am

YUUUMMMMM! It looks soo good!

Hey, I’m having a surprise recipe party today – you should join in!

7 mamawalker November 23, 2009 at 9:44 am

i love to use better than boullion. i used to use cubes and s&p for my brisket but better than bouillion is thee best all in one spice and salt and flavor concoction. it hands down makes the best flavored brisket ever ever ever!!

8 Tammy November 23, 2009 at 9:47 am

Thank you, thank you! I’m a TX girl currently living in GA where all they eat is pork. Very few people here even know what brisket is. My father in law cooked brisket the old fashion way, all night long on the cooker outside, for all of our holidays. He passed away from cancer 2 years ago. Now I’ll be able to make this for my hubby at Thanksgiving. It is sure to bring back happy memories for him. Thank you for sharing!

9 Lynda @ SportsMadGirl November 23, 2009 at 10:04 am

YUM!!! That looks so good. I’m definitely going to have to give this a try.

10 Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality November 23, 2009 at 10:09 am

Yum, sounds good, Kimba! I’ll have to pick up brisket, I just don’t cook it very often, but will definitely try it with your method. I do a London Broil on the grill that is really good too (marinating overnight), just made that over the weekend. We can eat 3 meals off that hunk o’ meat!

11 Deidra November 23, 2009 at 10:17 am

I’ve lived all up and down the eastern seaboard – North and South. But I never heard of brisket ’til I moved to Nebraska…home of cows and corn and cows that eat corn. Yum! Your recipe looks delicious and all I have to say is a big ole YES to cooking it low and slow. Don’t try to rush a brisket. Ever.

12 Danielle @ Transforming Home November 23, 2009 at 10:41 am

Looks great! I may have to add that to my weekly menu!

Danielle

13 Marci November 23, 2009 at 10:44 am

Thank you! We love Brisket in Arkansas and I have never been able to do my own very well. I am going to try this. My husband will be so happy!

14 Mary November 23, 2009 at 10:53 am

Sounds delish! Do you use the whole bottle of liquid smoke?

15 Jen @ Canadian Rhapsody November 23, 2009 at 10:56 am

Is there another name for the brisket cut? I have never seen that in our grocery stores up here….

16 Maureen F November 23, 2009 at 11:34 am

OH that looks so good – thanks for sahring. What is next to it? potatoes? macaroni and cheese? how about that recipe !!!!

17 Christi {Jealous Hands} November 23, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Um, yum!! That looks SOOOOO yummy!

18 Amanda @ Serenity Now November 23, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I’ve never been brave enough to try to cook a brisket, but your recipe sounds great, and the photos made it look easy! I don’t know if I have a covered pan that can go in the oven though…hmmm….

19 Leigh November 23, 2009 at 1:42 pm

THis is the EAIEST ever and always comes out delicious!! Get any size brisket you want and add one can of whole berry cranberry sauce, and one packet of Lipton onion soup mix. Add about a cup of water, throw in the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. COmes out PERFECT every time and couldnt be easier :)

20 Lynette November 23, 2009 at 2:18 pm

That looks sooo good. I just ate lunch and you’re still making me hungry. I will definitely be trying this recipe.

21 Victoria in Texas November 23, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Wow! Our brisket recipes are almost identical! The only thing different is I have to use Woody’s BBQ Sauce with a little brown sugar mixed in. And I’m with ya on the mac and cheese with it. Some people in my family must have baked beans. But I think the creamy, cheese mac is the perfect compliment! Yesterday I made slow and low braised beef short ribs over creamy, cheesy polenta. Similar idea as the brisket. Moist, flavorful meat with a cheesy side. Having the few leftovers tonight. Can’t wait now since your post has my glands watering!

22 Jackie November 23, 2009 at 3:59 pm

The recipe sounds awesome! I’ll have to try it. Just wondering…. have you tried cooking this in a crock pot?

23 shayla November 23, 2009 at 4:09 pm

sounds yummy! try cooking it fat side up next time so all the flavor and juice flow down through it as it cooks. even better!!

24 Pamela November 23, 2009 at 5:05 pm

We love us some brisket! Our Christmas dinner is actually brisket. I do not make it myself but buy a super yummy version at HEB. All I do is plop it in the oven and 45 min later yum yum!
Quick questions, you have an ad on the side of your blog abt fat loss. Have you tried it or are they just paying ya for it to be there?? If you have tried it please share your story!

25 Cherish November 23, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Yumm! Want to share your recipe for that delicious looking mac & cheese?!?!

26 Lisa@DestinationSeaborn November 23, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I’ve lived in Ohio all my life and had to go to Texas before I tried brisket. Thankfully, we found a chain restaurant in Ohio (City BBQ) that has a delicious brisket. I may have to try your recipe, it looks very simple.

27 Melissa November 23, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Kimba: I’m gonna have to try your recipe. Mine is much more involved. It is hard to find a good cut of brisket in northern Ohio, but I can usually find one. I’ve been cheating lately and buying one already cooked and ready to go at Sam’s Club. It’s awesome in a time pinch.

28 Melanie Gore November 23, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I haven’t ever made brisket but I was looking through Pioneer Woman’s cookbook today and thought I would make it soon. I am southern to the bone and we just moved to the north. I am planning on cooking all the southern favorites to remind me of home.

29 Jennifer November 23, 2009 at 9:57 pm

I am a New Yorker married to a Texan. I just may give this recipe a try!

30 Diana @ The Girl Creative November 23, 2009 at 9:58 pm

That looks really yummy! I’m always looking for new recipes. I think I’ll go out tomorrow and buy me some brisket. :)

31 Heathahlee November 24, 2009 at 12:19 am

You know, I’ve never cooked brisket. Just chuck roast in the crock pot. Mom never cooked brisket, so I guess that’s why I don’t. But she made THE best roast. THE BEST. With some pan juices over mashed potatoes and sweet peas on the side, THAT’S what makes me go MMM-MMM-mmmmmmm….

Man, I wish I had made roast for dinner… : )

But you make that brisket look gooooood. I may have to try it. Think it would do as well (translated: be as tender) in the crock pot (translated: slow cooker)?

32 Amber November 24, 2009 at 2:08 am

This summer we moved from Texas to Colorado. My hubby is a Texan and he is missing his brisket. I will have to try this recipe for him!

33 Zarah November 24, 2009 at 9:29 am

My husband is a Kansas City BBQ fanatic, born & bred! My family got tired of hearing him whine about how we don’t have any good BBQ where we live, so my parents bought him a smoker for Christmas and we’ve been in BBQ heaven ever since. I love it when he makes brisket & burnt ends.

34 Charlene @ Secrets of a Southern Kitchen November 29, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I love brisket! We’ve been living in Georgia, and have traveled to North Carolina to a town that claims to be know for bbq, but it’s all pork with a vinegar sauce added afterwards–I miss my “real” bbq, lol! I usually marinate mine in worchestershire sauce and Italian salad dressing, and rub with Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning. BBQ sauce added at the end. Good on the grill or in the oven, yum!

All this brisket talk makes me want to find one in the store and cook it!

35 Lindsey Barkel December 6, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I made this a couple of nights ago. I have never cooked up a brisket before but it was Awesome!! I made homemade mac and cheese too and it is the perfect compliment! My husband said it was the best meal of the year! ….well, that’s not a hard record to break but it was very delicious!! So thanks for sharing :)