Make Your Home More Welcoming – Challenge #6

by Kimba on October 29, 2009

in Sanctuary at Home

Make them something yummy.

Even if you regularly have a homemade dinner on the table at 6pm sharp (I don’t!), there’s something extra special about having a little something sweet made for the one’s you love.

It doesn’t have to be some takes-all-day project. I’m a huge fan of popping some break-and-bake or slice-and-bake cookies in the oven. It makes the house smell divine and when you serve them with a glass of cold milk, you’ll get no complaints.

If you’re looking for something a little more special (but still easy), try my Apple and Pear Crisp Fake Out. No one will EVER guess how easy it is.

You can browse all of our challenges and join in any time. Just click here to see the whole series.

photo credit: ilmungo

1 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage October 29, 2009 at 5:01 am

Ahhh I made your Apple Pear Crisp the other day and it was OOOOHHHH so yummy!

Brownies seem to fit the "bake something yummy" bill around here. They probably get made about once a week.

2 Suzann @ The Olive Cottage October 29, 2009 at 5:06 am

I was JUST thinking about this. hmmmm.

3 Kimm at Reinvented October 29, 2009 at 5:12 am

I agree, nothing shows love more than chocolate chip cookies. :)
In fact, if I wasn't so "loving", I probably wouldn't need to diet!

4 Lynn from For Love or Funny October 29, 2009 at 5:15 am

Yes, there is nothing like the aroma of sweets or warm bread to welcome everyone into the house! I love your MYHMWelcoming suggestions!

5 slip4 October 29, 2009 at 5:34 am

Great idea! I am going to make ginger cookies this afternoon for those returning from school. Yum!

6 Queen B. October 29, 2009 at 5:46 am

OOOOOOOOOOO! THAT'S MY MOTTO.
I MAY NOT BE THE CRAFTIEST PERSON IN THE WORLD, BUT I SOOOO LOVE TO BAKE AND COOK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 Cheryl October 29, 2009 at 5:56 am

Chocolate Chip cookies are the number #1 fave here. I don't make dessert often as we are watching what we eat, but I think I will indulge the hubs this evening.

8 Tori October 29, 2009 at 6:30 am

As moms it's always nice to have a special baked good on the counter for our little ones:) I love baking and especially with them!!

9 Astrid October 29, 2009 at 6:33 am

I just made a lemon meringue pie and I've got a pumpkin pie baking in the oven right now! LOL!!! (we've got company coming over for dinner…we'd never be able to eat that much pie…it'd be disastrous!)

10 stefanie October 29, 2009 at 6:37 am

you are right, i think it makes your family sooo happy, dessert, who knew

11 Audra Lynn October 29, 2009 at 6:42 am

from reading everyone else's comments, i clearly do not bake enough. time to start, i suppose. :)

12 toni October 29, 2009 at 6:43 am

I struggle with this particular challenge because it is so hard to find / make goodies and desserts that are healthy :-/

13 bri and shawn October 29, 2009 at 6:56 am

too bad this comes after a comment about baking healthily… ;)
Although I'm all for healthy, I DID make some SUPER easy pb cookies yesterday…1 cup Peanut butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg.
That's it, folks. Roll into balls, smush with a fork,bake 15 min.
Heavenly…if you like that sorta thing…

14 Andrea October 29, 2009 at 7:16 am

I'm lovin' these 'Welcoming Challenges'. and incorporating them into our home :)

15 Adam and Hayley October 29, 2009 at 7:26 am

I love to just pop cookies in the oven. My trick to make it fast and easy is to make an extra large batch and then while a dozen are baking in the oven, take my cookies scooper and scoop some cookies in a ziploc bag, laying flat soo they don't stick too much. Then pop it in the freezer and right the kind of cookie and the cooking directions on the bag, so that I can just grab a dozen or so and pop them in the oven whenever I want, and not have to pull out the sugar and flour every time :) Hubby loves it, because he can have fresh cookies any time he wants!

16 Marie October 29, 2009 at 8:01 am

Hello Kimba – I love to bake this time of year. Not only does it make my little home smell yummy, but it makes the kids happy! Happy kids = happy Mama! Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Marie

17 Amanda @ Serenity Now October 29, 2009 at 10:29 am

Some of these are tips that the Real Estate Broker I used to work for recommended to her clients to create a more homey atmosphere for buyers. :) The smell of cookies or bread can't hurt! I baked a great chocolate cake the other night, and my hubby was so excited when he came home from work. :)

18 Richella October 29, 2009 at 3:14 pm

This is a really nice series, Kimba. Thank you for making us all stop and think about what we're really about.

19 Sandra October 29, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Yumm! My kids would hover over those cookies! :)
Blessings,