Make Your Home More Welcoming – Challenge #4

by Kimba on October 23, 2009

in Sanctuary at Home

Get them something to drink.

Such a simple thing to do. It’s one of the first things that I do whenever a friend comes over. It’s usually the 3rd question I ask a guest…right after “How are you?” and “Did you bring me a present?”. I ask “Can I get you something to drink?”

There’s something welcoming and sociable about getting someone a beverage.

So today, I challenge you to pour a drink for the people you love without them even asking. The Hubster has a long drive home and usually grabs a can of Diet Coke with Splenda when he gets home. Today, I’ll pour it over ice for him before he walks in the door.

I’m thinking that I should change the title of this series to “Make Yourself More Welcoming.” But, we’re kind of committed now, so we’ll stick with what we’ve got.

You can browse all of our challenges and join in any time. Just click here to see the whole series.

photo credit: DRP via flickr

1 Those Magic Slippers Will Take You Home October 23, 2009 at 5:53 am

I tried to do all challenges last night and not 1 got done. The boyfriend was in a bad mood, to many people in my house last night to make my entry way homey, and to noisey to turn on the radio. :o ( i failed. But i will once again try to do these things this evening while pouring my boyfriend a cold drink before he asks me to get him one while im' up and about! Thanks for your ideas!

2 shana October 23, 2009 at 6:02 am

Thanks for the great, fun series . . . so inspiring!
Enjoy the weekend!
Shana (from MN)

3 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions October 23, 2009 at 6:07 am

Courtesy starts at home, right? I will usually put the diet green tea my hubby drinks in the refrigerator {from the pantry} if I see there isn't one in there getting cold. I always ask him if he want's a tea when I'm putting the water on to make my cup of coffee. I always ask if guests want a drink as well ~ it seems appropriate because for some reason we always wind up in the kitchen anyway.

4 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage October 23, 2009 at 6:12 am

There's nothing like a glass of sweet tea over ice to set the world right. This is such a lovely idea!

5 Jill October 23, 2009 at 6:59 am

HA HA LMBO – Did you bring me a present? Thank you Kimba, you gave me a chuckle for the morning! I love reading your blogs.

6 southerninspiration October 23, 2009 at 7:17 am

I chuckled at the second question, too…..(mental note; if I go to Kimba's, take the time to take a hostess gift. I'll be embarassed if I'm empty handed!!) LOL….
Yes, this is a great point, and one we often don't think about….It DOES say welcome home, or welcome TO our home.

Suzanne

7 Suzann @ The Olive Cottage October 23, 2009 at 7:32 am

Such a GREAT post. Simple yet entirely too often overlooked.

8 Stephanie October 23, 2009 at 7:46 am

Great idea! Even though I do offer sometimes I need to make more of an effort to remember. And I always forget to ask where my present is and then they end up leaving with it, *sigh*

;)

Good post!

9 Danielle October 23, 2009 at 8:00 am

I think I'll try this tonight for the fiance. Although, I may switch up the order:

1. Did you bring me a present?
2. How are you?
3. Here's your Red Bull on the rocks!

10 Heidi Zimmerman October 23, 2009 at 8:32 am

I love this idea! Too often we pull out all the stops for company, but fall short for the people who matter most. I am going to try these challenges to show my husband and boys how much they mean to me.

Great concept!!

11 Stephanie @ A Fine House October 23, 2009 at 9:01 am

I am loving your challenges. I will definitely be pouring drinks this evening. During the day today I will be cleaning house because it is a holy mess, and not very "welcoming".
I posted pics yesterday of challenge #2. A simple solution, but a big difference when you have to stare at it every day!
Thanks!

12 Maman Tattoo October 23, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Already doing it!
(in fact, I might get annoying with this!)
But my bf was please with the hot chocolate I gave him a little after he entered home (his check was all red- We had snow today!)

Challenge #2 is still a total fail, though!

13 Amy {The Red Chair Blog} October 23, 2009 at 4:04 pm

This is a neat series, Kimba!

14 Craig, Blair and Turbo Skousen October 23, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I should pass this to my hubby..he's usually home before me. hehe

15 Kim @ Forever Wherever October 24, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I like the idea of making ourselves more welcoming. Simple things can make a big difference.

Kim

16 Marci October 25, 2009 at 8:51 am

I am glad you posted this! I need to make a mental note to offer my guests something to drink right away…I always wait for the right moment and it never comes…then after they leave I realize how rude I must have appeared to have never offered anything.

17 My2Gs October 26, 2009 at 11:43 am

My mother-in-law makes a fabulous hot drink around this time of year call Wassail. It has tea, pineapple,lemon juice, cloves, etc. Sooo yummy. Would be perfect to offer your guests.

{ 1 trackback }