Decorating with Pumpkins and Gourds

by Kimba on October 22, 2009

in Seasonal Projects

Country Living

One thing I love about fall is being able to decorate with the beautiful pumpkins, gourds and squash that I find at the grocery store and farmer’s market. You gotta love decorating with produce.

BHG

I’m thinking about making this simple garland by wiring some mini pumpkins and real leaves to a piece of twine or rope. So beautiful for a kitchen window.

BHG

How beautiful is this simple mantle display done with pumpkins and gourds in shades of yellow and green?

Southern Living

I am in love with these mini-pumpkin picks! They would be adorable peeking out of a pot of mums on the front porch. Here is an easy tutorial from Southern Living.

Country Living

It doesn’t get any easier than colorful gourds in simple white bowls. That’s my kind of centerpiece.

Country Living

For a more abundant look, try filling a long container with gourds, leaves, apples, pine cones and candles. Pure natural beauty. I love that everything for this gorgeous display can be found in the produce section and the backyard.

What ideas do you have for displaying fall’s bounty?

Scroll down or click here to read Challenge #3 of our Make Your Home More Welcoming Challenge.

1 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage October 22, 2009 at 9:41 am

Those little pumpkins in the bowls are easy and beautiful! Love all these ideas!

2 Stephanie @ A Fine House October 22, 2009 at 10:03 am

Gotta love a good gourd!
If you decide to make the garland, check out Sarah's Clover Lane blog. Her post today is about waxing leaves and creating a garden. Great craft for the kiddos, or even for us moms.

3 marty (A Stroll Thru Life) October 22, 2009 at 10:43 am

Oh, I absolutely love all of the beautiful vignettes. Of course the wonderful cloches caught my eye immediately. All of the wonderful produce is so pretty and just so interesting to look at. Hugs, Marty

4 Amanda @ Serenity Now October 22, 2009 at 10:51 am

Love the BHG mantel. :) Lovely photos!!! We only have 3 real pumpkins this year. I'm going to put them by the front door. :)

5 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions October 22, 2009 at 10:56 am

I love the tray one, Kimba. In fact, something like that would work on my dining room table. Thanks for the inspiration!

6 Gina October 22, 2009 at 10:56 am

I love that garland-I'm inspired to do one too! I love the little pumpkins that came from our garden this year-these would be perfect for that!

7 Craig, Blair and Turbo Skousen October 22, 2009 at 11:02 am

So far, I've pretty much just splattered pumpkins ALL over! Maybe I will tame myself and do a cute mantel!

8 sugar plum fairy October 22, 2009 at 11:07 am

Beautiful photos! Great ideas! I love fall decorating.

9 simplymodernmom.com October 22, 2009 at 11:46 am

I also had my post today about creative things to do with a pumpkin and decorating with it. A few other ideas… Here's the link: http://smmom.com/ztuup

10 Danielle @ Transforming Home October 22, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I love that BHG garland! I might just have to try to make one.

11 Tammy of Yarborough House October 22, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I love those. I have a huge wire cloche sitting on top of an ironstone bowl and inside are all white pumpkins. It sets in my kitchen on the island. I love it.
Take a look :

tammy

12 Aiming4Simple October 22, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I love displaying and eating pumpkins in various forms. I just posted an easy no-sew pumpkin craft on my website. Thanks for more beautiful ideas!

13 Kathy C. October 22, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Unfortunately our heat doesn't allow for real pumpkin displays to last long, but I buy a few and then have to buy more through the season. I think I like the last one best, it's so full of color and texture!

14 Kasey Hunt October 22, 2009 at 4:14 pm

very pretty and simple. thanks for sharing.

15 bj October 22, 2009 at 4:43 pm

All of these are so beautiful…especially love the ones in white bowls…

16 Kimm at Reinvented October 22, 2009 at 5:04 pm

One of the things I like best about fall decorating is the color. Nature's bounty is so colorful, that little touches here and there are the perfect accent, bringing a little outside in. I like to use the mini-pumpkins and place them in unexpected places, like little jewels.

17 Sherrlyn Borkgren Photography October 22, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Sherrlyn of http://www.borkgrenPhoto.net says…can you believe I found your blog from a Mid East blog! Nice place to land alright! Love your decor.

18 Maggie Whitley October 22, 2009 at 6:02 pm

my goodness! i love all those pumpkin centerpieces!!! :)

Gussy

19 Room to Inspire October 22, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Great ideas – I just love the first photo. Pumpkins and gourds are always so unique and have such wonderful colors…they really are great all by themselves.

Chelsea

20 Wendy October 22, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Great Ideas! I have only one little bowl full of pumpkins and squash, I just didn't feel like decorating for fall this year. Maybe I'll step it up for Christmas!

21 Karolina October 23, 2009 at 3:22 am

do you know where the tradition of pumpkins came from? I love the decoration ideas.. :)

22 Vanilla Bean October 23, 2009 at 7:20 am

I am obsessed with pumpkins. My husband does a walk-thru of the house everyday to see where I have "hid" the latest little ones ;-)

23 Suzann @ The Olive Cottage October 23, 2009 at 7:33 am

Decorating for autumn is my favorite. I'm going to the pumpkin farm this weekend and I am soooo excited!

24 Laura @ the shorehouse. October 23, 2009 at 10:14 pm

So I put real live mini pumpkins under a cloche last year…returned home the following weekend to a cloche o' mold. Ergo, trip to Michael's tonight for faux fabulousless. :-)