Let’s Get This Summer Started

by Kimba on July 6, 2009

in Faith and Family,Sanctuary at Home

There was a moment this weekend when poster board, marker and “Mom, I’m bored!” collided. I decided it was high time for a summer list.

This wasn’t my idea. Meg from Whatever has shared her family’s summer list for the last two years. If I wasn’t super lazy, I would go get you the links to her two posts. Sorry Meg. Instead, you can go browse around over there until you find them. Trust me. Her site is worth the browse. I want to be Meg when I grow up.

So there’s my summer list. If nothing else, the kid’s will use it to nag me until I try harder to make summer fun. They’re little accountability machines, they are. I had to add a couple for myself. “Sandbox” is easy and requires no planning, thought or effort on my part. We’ll do that one many times.

I’m thinking it will help me do a lot less of this….

And a lot more of this…

In the spirit of “It’s my blog and I’ll brag if I want to”…Yum! This picture of my man with our youngest makes me want to have 10 more babies.

What are you doing this summer?

1 Marcy July 6, 2009 at 5:15 am

Kimba,

Life balance is so important, isn't it? Having the summer list puts it right in front of everyone to remember.

And I love the family photos!

2 Chris July 6, 2009 at 5:27 am

It's a great list! Glad to see some photos of your family!

3 Anonymous July 6, 2009 at 5:28 am

Love that last picture…and the new haircut on little man!

Ahem…did I notice something missing on your summer list?

Hmmmmmm…

4 Nicole @ BugaBoos July 6, 2009 at 5:29 am

Love the list, what a great idea! I need to try this!

5 Amanda @ Serenity Now July 6, 2009 at 5:49 am

Love your list! That last photo is just plain awesome! The colors are so bright and they look so happy. :)

Here's my to-do list for the summer:

;)

6 Living With Lindsay July 6, 2009 at 6:02 am

This is great! I need to do that w/ my son. No telling what would be on there – ride a dinosaur, fly to the moon, etc. LOL

Your husband and son are just adorable!

7 Sjn July 6, 2009 at 6:10 am

The computer will always be there, but your "little man" will only be little for such a short time. My little girl just graduated college, where has the time gone?!
Get outside and play (get dirty on the list). Enjoy the lazy days of summer with your kids. Make some memories and have fun!!!

8 Flower Patch Farmgirl July 6, 2009 at 7:05 am

We're making sidewalk paint (another fabulous idea from Meg), reading lots of books, growing dinner in our garden and having a tonsillectomy!

9 Julie July 6, 2009 at 7:45 am

I haven't made a list (my little one is just 1 1/2) I just posted yesterday a little photo journal of our activities so far… many more to come!

10 CRICKET July 6, 2009 at 7:50 am

I give myself a little computer time with my coffee in the morning and then I shut it off. We have done almost everything on your list except Chuck E Cheese (that is my husbands deal! Your list is a great way to stay focused during summer and have fun. Hope you have a wonderful summer of fun and activities.

11 Madison July 6, 2009 at 8:36 am

Hey Kimba I am sooooo jealous that you have a Macbook!LOL Love the ideas and hope you have a great Summer!!

Love, Madison

12 Richella July 6, 2009 at 8:48 am

Oh, please brag! What a great photo of your husband and son. It's so wonderful to see a pic of a dad and his boy. A big man and a little man. Hard to beat.

13 HeathahLee July 6, 2009 at 8:55 am

That IS a sweet picture of your littlest man with your biggest! And you better get busy with that list! Down here, summer is over half gone! School will start for us the very first week of August. On my birthday, no less! Hmmm…maybe we'll start a week later. : )

14 Joanna July 6, 2009 at 9:12 am

I'm bored is all too familiar around here with Kayla. I don't remember those words coming from my mouth in the summer time. Kids these days expect electronics and us parents to help entertain them!

15 Jennifer Juniper July 6, 2009 at 9:12 am

We always begin with our special summer list each year, too. Then we work those things in to the rest of the schedule.

I've been really organized this year and it's helped me with the "I'm bored"s enormously! I blogged it here: http://hopestudios.blogspot.com/2009/06/feedback-friday-summer-vacation-plans.html

Happy summer!

16 Caroline July 6, 2009 at 10:10 am

Love that! You gave me some ideas for the summer!!!

17 Charity July 6, 2009 at 10:28 am

We made one of these, too! Lots of fun, although ours ended up just a tad longer than I expected:

18 Southern Fried Gal July 6, 2009 at 11:01 am

Too cute! A great list, too. In additon to the usual SFG summer fun (swimming, parks, etc.) I've got to get BBC back to the fire station for another tour – he keeps asking. We are also doing the summer reading program at the library. Love the pic of your man and youngest – so sweet!

19 Jill July 6, 2009 at 11:03 am

Love your list…ours includes lots of crafts, swimming, cooking, reading, and picnics with friends…we schedule a "themed" picnic once a week with a different group of friends…then spend time on the menu and decorations…so fun!
LOVED your sweet picture at the end! :)
Blessings!

20 Mrs. Querido July 6, 2009 at 11:28 am

Awww :) I feel like that when I see my hubby loving on our kiddos too!
Great photo!

21 monalisa July 6, 2009 at 12:10 pm

i love making lists!!!
my summer list has all sort of stuff from: losing 10 poundsand taking my little sisters to the zoo to irrational stuff like travelling to 3 different continents!
but it doesn't matter cuz by the time i reaching #16 on my list summer is probably over=)
~ wishing you the best from saudi arabia

22 Lee Beth July 6, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Hello. Just checking out new blogs and I really like yours. Feel free to come check out mine if you'd like. Love the photos, they're really great.

23 Amy Anderson July 6, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I need to take a lesson from you – you are so right! I spend a lot of time in front of the Mac myself. Thanks Kimba!

24 Cricket July 6, 2009 at 6:40 pm

We just made up our list the other day and it has many of the same things on it. We've also set a spending budget each month and keeping an ongoing tally–let's see how that works out!

25 Funky Junk Interiors July 6, 2009 at 8:25 pm

How I wish I had time to make a list here! My 10 yr old son is hoping from camp to camp while I work.

But, he's being resent to one camp (because he had to return early due to illness) and I may tag along. It requires a flight to another province so I may be taking in my own holiday in the mountains at the same time!

Then we'll come home and go camping. :)

July is hustle and bustle! August will be playful and leisureful. I love August best!

26 Jennifer P. July 6, 2009 at 11:50 pm

I have done Meg's list for two years too! We'll have to steal a few of your ideas now….especially the less computer one :)

27 Mandi July 7, 2009 at 4:33 am

Oh you are so right, that man of yours looks so sweet with your little one. I love pics of my hubby with our boys. I may have to steal this idea too, we have lots of company in the summer b/c we live close to the beach. We also spend about every weekend on the river. That is summer to us!

28 Our Complete Family July 7, 2009 at 8:06 pm

What a sweet post!
My hubs is away on a stateside deployment all summer long so I'm trying with all my might to make it a fun summer for both of my kiddos. It's kind of hard at times with their age gap though! Yikes!
Many summery hugs and good wishes to you and yours hun~ Les

29 Renee Strag July 7, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Well, I'm having a heck of a summer! It's been a humdinger (I never tried to spell that before).
I was going to tell you the worst thing about remodeling a kitchen; but now I'll give you my bottom five:
1. Camping inside your own house isn't as fun the 38th day as it was on the 1st day.
2. Oh, the cost…
3. And how the project just grows and grows. It really isn't just a kitchen remodel, but a house remodel.
4. When it rains it pours. It is as though the other appliances die from a broken heart… like did the wash machine really miss the dish washer. Or maybe the lawn mower was jealous that the frig was outside on the back porch.
5. Is anyone sure that the granite, or the cabinet color that they pick today is one that they'll like 7 years from now? Especially since it is different for the decision make last week. Oh dear.
The good news is that in perspective, my kids will remember the summer that we did the kitchen and hopefully never take for granted running water or electricity.

30 Leanne July 21, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for the idea of putting a summer fun list on posterboard and hanging it where I will be held accountable for everything. HaHa! I really love it. Here's what my kids came up with: