Apothecary Terrarium

by Kimba on April 5, 2009

in Do it yourself,In the Garden

Say that 5x fast.

I had to look up the spelling for both of those words. I’m still not convinced they’re right.

apothecary terrariumapothecary 4

While all you southern girls are enjoying the first breaths of spring, us northern girls are still dreaming. It’s supposed to snow here on Tuesday. Argh!

terrarium

So while I dream, I created a bit of spring in my kitchen by growing some grass in my favorite apothecary jars.

apothecary terrarium 2

This was a great project to do with the kids. Put some potting soil into the bottom of each jar. Then spread a bunch of wheat grass seeds on top of the soil and spritz with water.

You can buy wheat grass seeds at the health food store but I got mine on ebay. Cat grass works too and you can usually find that anywhere that sells packs of seeds. Wheat grass and cat grass are great because they sprout so quickly. Seriously, mine sprouted in less than 24 hours. You could see them growing hour by hour.

Just mist them with water every few days and watch the grass grow. My son says that we need to get a miniature tractor to mow the grass. I’m thinking little scissors will work.

apothecary

1 Renee April 6, 2009 at 5:04 am

I love this idea! Beautiful, simple spring decor. Hope you get warm weather soon!!

2 Vanessa April 6, 2009 at 5:14 am

Kimba! What a great idea!!! Love it!

3 Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love April 6, 2009 at 5:24 am

Great idea! We are getting snow now!

4 Michelle@Fromhousetohome April 6, 2009 at 5:37 am

What a great idea. I may have to try this with the kids. I love that it is instant satisfaction so they won’t get bored. lol

The grass looks so pretty.
~Michelle

5 Laurel @ Ducks in a Row April 6, 2009 at 6:09 am

The grass definitely looks springy! So lovely.

6 Caroline April 6, 2009 at 6:11 am

I love it!! where did you find your apothecary glass?

7 Christi April 6, 2009 at 6:24 am

Love, love this Kimba! My boys would love this – and it would look great on my coffee table.

8 Michelle April 6, 2009 at 6:27 am

Love this idea! When I take the Easter eggs out of mine I’m definitely going to do this!

9 Vanessa April 6, 2009 at 6:51 am

I’m in Southern Oklahoma and it’s 31 degrees this morning! Not too Springy. But, of course, it is Oklahoma, so the weather will be totally different in just two days!
Love this idea! Definitely going to have to try it out!

10 melissa April 6, 2009 at 7:09 am

Kimba, I have seen people growing this around blogland, but none of my health food stores here sell it, so thanks for the heads up on Ebay~didn’t even think of that one! So, is catgrass the same as wheatgrass?? You’re the best!

11 AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage April 6, 2009 at 7:09 am

What a great idea! Your son’s comment cracked me up too. So cute :) .

12 Darlene April 6, 2009 at 7:13 am

Hi Kimba,

I LOVE your little terrarium in the apothecary jars….CUTE!!! Thanks for the shout out about my little terrarium I found…..my plants are still alive in it!!! Have a great day!

13 Kimm at Reinvented April 6, 2009 at 7:22 am

Love the terrarium, such a wonderful touch of spring for us northerners! Thanks for the links, great projects. And, of course, I LOVE the new pin colors!

14 Mamaoftwins April 6, 2009 at 7:38 am

What a great idea! I dont grow grass here where we live because our water bill would be outrageous since theres no humidity and its extremely dry. So this would be perfect. I would have some green grass, low care, and some color in the house. LOVE IT!

15 Tracy is ... Loving Pretty Things April 6, 2009 at 7:40 am

SO CUTE. I’m loving this! Can’t wait to pass it along to my Apothecary jars! great ideas, as always!

16 Gina April 6, 2009 at 7:46 am

Beautiful! My kids would love this too! I’m sure mine would be filled fairies and little pet shops! (oh, and the Pacific Northwest isn’t too great either-we finally had a warm day yesterday!)

17 kirwin April 6, 2009 at 7:51 am

This is so cool! And it looks just beautiful. My son has been wanting to get a Venus Fly Trap, but they always die so quickly…maybe we’ll try one in an apothecary Terrarium. (It won’t be nearly as pretty as your grass, but it will fun for him!)

18 Southern Charm April 6, 2009 at 7:55 am

Oh Girl, it was just fabulous yesterday here in North Georgia. It was the most beautiful perfect Spring day. Everyone was outside playing and gardening, birds were chirping, tulips swaying in the breeze. It was glorious!!!!!!!!!
Today we are expecting some snow. What the heck??
Well, at least we had a taste right?
Love your grass, I’ll have to remember that one.

19 Katie @ makingthishome.com April 6, 2009 at 7:55 am

It’s so dreary in Berlin most of the time in March. I’m going to have to try this next year when we’re anxious for a little sunshine and green. I haven’t found any apothecary jars here at all, though with thoughts of a terrarium like yours, my hunt continues.
Hmm I struggled to write “terrarium”, too!
Katie

20 Stacey @ The Blessed Nest April 6, 2009 at 8:01 am

Such a cute idea! Love using those apothecary jars in new ways!!

21 Laura Ingalls Gunn April 6, 2009 at 8:02 am

The grass is greener on the other side! :)

22 Sarah April 6, 2009 at 8:03 am

What a fab idea! A living, breathing centerpiece. Perfect for spring! I’m wishing you a little bit of sunshine and spring warmth :)

23 Susie from Bienvenue April 6, 2009 at 8:10 am

Love your grass in those jars! I have always wanted to plant some and try it. I do hope that you will be feeling spring there soon. We have some warmer weather here but today its just down right chilly. Crazy! Thanks for sharing your bit of spring..pretty pretty as always! Take care~

24 Jill April 6, 2009 at 8:21 am

There’s something about grass indoors that’s so fresh and springy. I love this idea.
-Jill

25 NCJill April 6, 2009 at 8:32 am

You can try RYE grass too. It works fast as well and comes in small bags at Lowes, etc.
Every year we make live Easter baskets with the rye grass and place some colored Easter eggs on top. It is so much nicer than that nasty plastic Easter grass! Just be sure to place a plastic liner in the basket first to protect the basket.

26 Holly April 6, 2009 at 8:43 am

very cool idea! As for us southern girls it is FREEZING here today with a chance of snow. We were in the 70s yesterday!

27 Raise Them Up April 6, 2009 at 9:44 am

I love your sunny spot for it! Beautiful, and such a neat idea!

28 Pretty Organizer April 6, 2009 at 9:52 am

I do wheat grass every once in awhile in my kitchen. I just use regular wheat berries (don’t ask me why they’re called berries) that I buy in bulk to grind for my wheat flour. They sprout up just fine.

I still don’t have any of those apothecary jars. I’ve held out on principles of practicality with 6 kids and half of them boys. When I see them at GoodWill, I’m snatching them up. Maybe I’ll put all of my Excedrine in one and chocolate in the other.

Great post chicka. I’m hosting Homemaking 101 for the next few weeks. Should be fun! Not sure how many care… a bit scary to launch a new series.

29 Janet April 6, 2009 at 10:02 am

Great idea, and so pretty. What a beautiful shade of green.

30 Kelli April 6, 2009 at 10:27 am

We’re going to do this soon. Great idea!!

31 Ashley April 6, 2009 at 10:29 am

I love this idea!!! I need some more apothecary jars.

P.S. I’m a southern girl. After a beautiful weekend we are down to 40 degrees now. Boo!

32 Darlene - Our Creative Life April 6, 2009 at 10:39 am

That’s a great idea! It was nice here in the south, but tonight it is suppose to get down to freezing again…UGH!

33 The Nester April 6, 2009 at 10:58 am

LOVE IT!!!!!

Have you seen those peeps on etsy who sell the terrariums with moss? LOVE them!

34 Michelle April 6, 2009 at 11:02 am

What a great idea….now if I only had some terrariums!! I’ll store this one away in my memory vault for later. I love how it just oozes spring! Especially since things are still a little brown here in Wisconsin!!

35 Amanda @ Serenity Now April 6, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Cute idea! Thanks for the links to the other tips…I’ve been meaning to try the decoupaged eggs a la The Shabby Nest for a week or so now. Need to get on that. ;)

36 The Neppers April 6, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Um, is this a dumb question…
Does it have to be in something with a lid or could I use some large vases?

37 Christi April 6, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I’m not Kimba, but it should work fine to use large vases – I’ve seen this in Mason jars (open) and glass water pitchers.

38 Sarah Mae April 6, 2009 at 2:37 pm

That is SO cool – my kiddos would love this! I never would have thought…

39 Wendy @ The Shabby Nest April 6, 2009 at 4:32 pm

So cute! And thanks for the shout out lady!

40 Sweet Caroline April 6, 2009 at 4:41 pm

This is darling. I saw a similiar idea when someone planted pots in their window box and had grass growing. She then placed easter eggs in the grass…all for the neighbors to enjoy!

I love the jars…I am going to so do this….

41 Sarah April 6, 2009 at 5:25 pm

What a great and fun idea! Now I have to go find some apothecaries. :P

42 Billy Coffey April 6, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I showed this to my wife, and she flipped. That looks like a work of art.

43 Bond. Golden Bond. April 6, 2009 at 6:18 pm

This is a green project I can handle. It’s lovely!

Between your wheat grass idea and the Nester’s succulents inspiration, this green thumb slacker just may have some real live indoor foliage!

Thanks for the simple and beautiful idea.

44 frillsfluffandtrucks April 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Very cute–my two would love this! :)

~ Sarah

45 Misti of Studio M Designs April 6, 2009 at 6:59 pm

What a great idea, and it looks cool too! My boys would love it, much easier than the tomatoes and peppers we attempted last summer!
~Misti

46 Kimba April 6, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for all your sweet comments! This is about as close to instant gratification as you’ll get when you’re growing something.

@Caroline – My jars came from TJMaxx (I think) but I’ve seen then everywhere…Target, Marshalls, the thrift store (that’s my fave!)

Kimba

47 Amber April 6, 2009 at 7:38 pm

What a great spring idea! Does the wheat grass need a lot of sun to grow well?

48 Allidink April 6, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Oh that looks so neat! What a cool idea.

All the best,
Allison

49 Hillary @ The Other Mama April 6, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Love it! And this Southern Gal had a wind chill of 32 today and snow flurries tonight! Spring- come out and play!!

50 Jessica April 7, 2009 at 3:55 am

I’m also up north and am just waiting impatiently for spring to show itself! Your post makes me want to run out to the craft store and pick up an apothecary jar and some grass seed (you said wheat grass or cat grass right?) so I can get me a little chunk of spring…great idea!

51 Leslie Young April 7, 2009 at 5:34 am

I LOVE apothecary jars! I have several in different sizes that I use for seasonal displays all year! I’m terrarium-ignorant (say that three times fast!) so I have a question: Do you keep the lid on the whole time? Seems like it couldn’t grow like that, but that’s what your pictures show.

52 Karla April 7, 2009 at 7:10 am

Love this idea!! So would my boys! :) Think we’ll have to try this one! Thanks for the inspiration!

~Karla @ It’s The Little Things…

53 HeathahLee April 7, 2009 at 7:55 pm

That is such a sweet idea for spring, Kimba! And you could even put an easter egg on top of them for a pretty decoration! Hmm…wonder if I have time before Sunday… : )

54 Katie April 8, 2009 at 7:01 am

I love this look! Is it okay that the lid is kept on? Or does it need air circulation?

55 Puna April 10, 2009 at 4:57 am

This is very pretty, very organic. I however, would kill it in a minute.

56 Linda at Lime in the Coconut! April 10, 2009 at 6:33 am

That is great…Talk about bottling up some spring! Hee.

57 Jennifer DeDonato May 31, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Wonderful…I have some jars and this would be just great!